• 2,251,613 Discussions
  • 7,870,859 Comments

Discussions

Designer vs. SQL Developer

FC60
FC60 Member Posts: 416 Bronze Badge
edited Mar 4, 2018 5:25PM in Designer

Hi,

The next month I start a new project with a new client. They use "Oracle Designer" to modeling the database architecture.

I never used Oracle Designer, in my projects I use SQL Developer. The two softwares are compatibles?

Can I continue to use my SQL Developer and import the files in Designer?

There is some "Getting started" manual to have a basic training with Designer?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Mark Striekwold
    Mark Striekwold Member Posts: 442 Bronze Badge
    edited Mar 4, 2018 1:48PM Accepted Answer

Oracle Designer is Oracle's CASE tool for designing an information system and generating it. After generating the information system one is able to edit the generated code with Oracle Developer Suite

A part of Oracle Designer can be compared with Oracle SQL Developer Datamodeler where you design an ERD (entity relation diagram) or a database model. But you can also generatie database packages, functions, procedures, tables,,views, triggers, Forms etc.  It depends on your customer what they all use.

I have used Oracle Designer in combination with Oracle SQL Developer a lot. I created and modified the database packages. procedures. functions inside Oracle SQL Developer and copied the code back inside designer where I then generated the code. Since my customer also used SCM (version control) inside Oracle Designer they deployed from desginer to the different environments.

Since Oracle Designer is no longer supported by Oracle, it is hard to find tutorials or documentation.

FC60

Answers

• Mark Striekwold
    edited Mar 4, 2018 1:48PM Accepted Answer

Oracle Designer is Oracle's CASE tool for designing an information system and generating it. After generating the information system one is able to edit the generated code with Oracle Developer Suite

A part of Oracle Designer can be compared with Oracle SQL Developer Datamodeler where you design an ERD (entity relation diagram) or a database model. But you can also generatie database packages, functions, procedures, tables,,views, triggers, Forms etc.  It depends on your customer what they all use.

I have used Oracle Designer in combination with Oracle SQL Developer a lot. I created and modified the database packages. procedures. functions inside Oracle SQL Developer and copied the code back inside designer where I then generated the code. Since my customer also used SCM (version control) inside Oracle Designer they deployed from desginer to the different environments.

Since Oracle Designer is no longer supported by Oracle, it is hard to find tutorials or documentation.

FC60
  • FC60
    FC60 Member Posts: 416 Bronze Badge
    edited Mar 4, 2018 2:24PM

Thanks Mark,

I will develop a data warehouse database (data marts and staging area), the other people that develops management system works with Java+Oracle. I think that Designer is the standard to database architects.

Probably they have inherited Designer with the old system, it's a government organism so we can't change software easily.

• Mark Striekwold
    edited Mar 4, 2018 5:25PM

If they only use it for maintaining the entity/datamodel it is also possible to import it inside Oracle SQL Developer Datamodeler. But that is only a one way direction so you can import into SQL Developer Datamodler but not back inside Designer.

FC60
This discussion has been closed.