• 3,769,500 Users
  • 2,252,970 Discussions
  • 7,875,060 Comments

Discussions

sqlcl documentation

Jonathan Rosenne
Jonathan Rosenne Member Posts: 1
edited Mar 27, 2018 8:59AM in SQLcl

I had searched the site for documentation of sqlcl, and could not find it. At the end I used the SQL*Plus documentation and got my thing done. I had not previously used SQL*Plus. Is there some documentation I missed? I only found the Command-Line Quick Reference which is rather minimal.

Answers

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,784 Bronze Crown
    edited Mar 25, 2018 8:25PM

sqlcl uses the same libraries sql developer uses, meaning a lot of sqlcl commands ara available in sql developer.

sqlcl (and sql developer) mimics a lot of the sqlplus commands, so using sqlplus documentation is the correct thing to do, along with the sqlcl documentation to see what sqlcl has not implemented.

Oracle SQL*Plus Users Gude and Reference

The latest sqlcl documentation is available from the SQL Developer Downloads page here:

SQL Developer 17.4.1

Version 17.4.1.054.0712    March 7, 2018Release Notes, Bugs Fixed, Documentation

sqlplus and sqlcl are two different tools, some of the sqlcl behavior is subtly different.

No ducumentation missing, you just need to reference all three, sqlplus, sql developer and sqlcl documentation. You should become familiar with all three tools, as each has their strengths.

For command line scripting I always use sqlplus, for eample.

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 1,722 Bronze Crown
    edited Mar 26, 2018 9:38AM
    No ducumentation missing, you just need to reference all three, sqlplus, sql developer and sqlcl documentation. You should become familiar with all three tools, as each has their strengths.

I agree with Jonathan with regard of the lack of documentation. You have showed us where to find the missing parts, but I think it should not be expected of us to read 3 documentations to use one tool. I'd expect a comprehensive SQLcl User's Guide just like the one for SQL*Plus.

We also use SQL*Plus regularly and I find it a very reliable and useful tool.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,070 Employee
    edited Mar 27, 2018 8:59AM

Quick reference guide here (PDF)

https://docs.oracle.com/database/sql-developer-17.4/SQCQR/SQCQR.pdf

DOCS (HTML)
    https://docs.oracle.com/database/sql-developer-17.4/SQCQR/toc.htm

And of course the HELP command in SQLcl is quite thorough.

You can run HELP or HELP SET for a list of commands, settings. And then HELP SET DDL or HELP INFO for the topic with examples.