• 2,252,720 Discussions
  • 7,874,334 Comments

Discussions

OO4O - just a short statement/confirmation

Dirk.W
Dirk.W Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
edited Apr 10, 2018 3:59AM in Oracle Provider for OLE DB

Hello,

@Christian.Shay -Oracle wrote here that we can use 11.2 to access Oracle up to 13.2 and thus continue to use OO4O.

Is the statement from this thread still correct? Can it be considered official?

- I know there is no support for OO4O anymore, but we have a very large VB6 project whose replacement is progressing very slowly.

Thank you and best regards

Dirk

Best Answer

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,965 Employee
    edited Apr 9, 2018 3:25PM Accepted Answer

Hi there, Dirk. I used to be one of the developers on the OO4O project so I am happy to answer one last question about it after all these years

As you intimated, there's a distinction between "supported" and "will it work?". As for oo4o support (eg fixes and assistance), it is governed by the deprecation rules. Make sure you understand what deprecation means in terms of what support you need for your business. My earlier post was not "official".... support notes and deprecation documents are what you should consider "official".

As for what version of the database it will work with, well, the final oo4o is based on Oracle Client 11.2 and so it will theoretically work with up to 18c as per support note 207303.1: https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=207303.1 I can't be sure what will happen in 19c but you could ring up support and see if they can comment.

Now here is where it gets dicey - major version changes sometimes expose bugs in older products... not often, but it does happen. If that happens with oo4o you might have some tough choices to make if support of oo4o is not longer available to you. If your plan is to keep using oo4o through 18c, you should probably begin testing now with 18c to make sure your apps still work.

Good luck!

Dirk.W

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,965 Employee
    edited Apr 9, 2018 3:25PM Accepted Answer

Hi there, Dirk. I used to be one of the developers on the OO4O project so I am happy to answer one last question about it after all these years

As you intimated, there's a distinction between "supported" and "will it work?". As for oo4o support (eg fixes and assistance), it is governed by the deprecation rules. Make sure you understand what deprecation means in terms of what support you need for your business. My earlier post was not "official".... support notes and deprecation documents are what you should consider "official".

As for what version of the database it will work with, well, the final oo4o is based on Oracle Client 11.2 and so it will theoretically work with up to 18c as per support note 207303.1: https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=207303.1 I can't be sure what will happen in 19c but you could ring up support and see if they can comment.

Now here is where it gets dicey - major version changes sometimes expose bugs in older products... not often, but it does happen. If that happens with oo4o you might have some tough choices to make if support of oo4o is not longer available to you. If your plan is to keep using oo4o through 18c, you should probably begin testing now with 18c to make sure your apps still work.

Good luck!

Dirk.W
  • Dirk.W
    Dirk.W Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited Apr 10, 2018 3:59AM

Hi Chrisitian,

thank you for your comments on my question. That'll help us out for a while.

Everything else has to be decided now.

This discussion has been closed.