• 2,254,716 Discussions
  • 7,880,231 Comments

Discussions

Client upgrade/reinstall from 11.2.0.1.0 to 11.2.0.4

jerry8989
jerry8989 Member Posts: 110
edited May 1, 2018 1:54PM in Database Upgrade

Hello,

I'm tasked with upgrading or installing Oracle client 11.2.0.4.  I'm unable to find the correct download.  I need sql plus and sql developer.

I'm running a 64-bit machine with Windows 7 Enterprise.

I need a client that will allow me to connect to dbs that are 11gR2,12cR1 and 12cR2, will this version work for me?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Tagged:
jerry8989

Answers

• Gaz in Oz
    Gaz in Oz Member Posts: 3,785 Bronze Crown
    edited May 1, 2018 10:17AM

Oracle Instant Client Downloads

InstantClient libraries, SQL*Plus and tools (3 seperate zips) availble from here.

Oracle Database 12c Release 2 for Windows Downloads

Full database client install including SQL*Plus,

With the database client or instantclient, I woud go for the 12.2.0.1 version of either.

Oracle SQL Developer Downloads

SQL Developer and sqlcl downloads from here. Go for the latest available.

jerry8989
  • jerry8989
    edited May 1, 2018 10:39AM

Thank you Gaz.

Will the latest client allow me to connect to older databases?  I have to make sure I'm able to connect back to the older databases.  I just checked and one of them is Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0.  That is the oldest and Oracle 12cR2 will be the newest version I have to connect too.

Do I completely uninstall 11.2.0.1 client off of my local machine first?  Do I install the full database client install first after the uninstall?

Thank you again for your help

• Gaz in Oz
    edited May 1, 2018 12:07PM

Oh. The 12.2.0.1 client will be fine all the way down to 11g (11.1.0.1.0 on theory...)

For the 9.2.0.6.0 database, I would use a 10.2.0.5.0 database client. That can be used all the way up to 12.1.0.2.0 (in theory).

...so 2 database client installs cover your versions.

You should really login to support.oracle.com and use the certification tab to see what client is supported to connect with what database server, to see all your options.

As for SQL Developer, try the latest to connect (it is JDBC after all) to a 9i database, if that doesn't work choose 4.1.something I think might do it,4.1.5 is certified for 10.2.0.1.0.meaning no bug fixes if you do manage to connect to 9.2.0.6.0 and then find issues with the UI (for any version of sqldev. or sqlplus for that matter).

By continually choosing to click on "Previous releases" on the ever diminishing versions, I got back to sqldev 3.2.2, but if I were you I'd try 4.1.5 to start with for a 9.2.0.8 db.(if latest doesn't work), a version that low will not be able to use all the later database enhancements, so you may need a dual install for sqldev as well.

This is what happens when old, unsupported database versions don't get upgraded.

• jerry8989
    edited May 1, 2018 1:29PM

Hi Gaz,

I'm in the process right now of getting the oracle support access so I can check what client supports what database version.

Can I have 2 clients installed?  How would my applications that point to 9i know what version to use?

The latest version of SQL developer allowed me to connect to the 9i database but I get an error when I try and open the tables.

SQL Developer Version 18.1.0 "ORA-01460: unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested".  I'll come back to SQL developer once I have the correct client installed.

Thanks again

• Gaz in Oz
    edited May 1, 2018 1:54PM
    Can I have 2 clients installed?

Yes.

How would my applications that point to 9i know what version to use?

Depends what the "client" is written in/looking for. Usually it is a combination of ORACLE_HOME, PATH, possibly TNS_ADMIN variables for OCI libraries, JDBC libraries, TNSNAMES files.

You may be required to tweak things in the windows registry too.

If it is ODBC or .NET, that gets a bit more complicated still, on Windows I think it involves something called a GAC - global access something or other... specific version of Visual Studio. etc for development.

The latest version of SQL developer allowed me to connect to the 9i database but I get an error when I try and open the tables.SQL Developer Version 18.1.0 "ORA-01460: unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested".  I'll come back to SQL developer once I have the correct client installed.

...that error, yes you'll need to come down a few versions, and you can have multiple SQL Developer installs too. Just make sure you download the ones "With JDK" included so you get the right java version for the versions you download and install.

Thanks again

You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.