• 2,260,631 Discussions
  • 7,896,912 Comments

Discussions

Unable to run even blank page

Pavel_p
Pavel_p Member Posts: 2,312 Gold Trophy
edited Jul 13, 2018 1:29PM in Enterprise Pack for Eclipse

Hello,

I downloaded the new 12.2.1.7 OEPE (tried both network install and packed bundle with the same result) on Win 10 and fresh Glassfish 5. Then I installed ADF Essentials zip file to the GF server and tried to create a simplest possible application (just a blank ADF page without any DB connection).

The "application" was creates as New => ADF application, as a Target runtime I picked the configured GF5 server, JPA project <None> and in the next step I specified the client library I created from 44 jars extracted from adf-essentials-client-ear.zip .

Then I created a blank ADF page, right-click on it => Run as => Run on Server and select the GF5 server. First surprising thing is that "Supports GF 4 and 3.1"

gf5.jpg

even if in this  OEPE Release 12.2.1.7 is available on OTN thread @Danny.Ju-Oracle explicitly states that GF5 is now supported and after clicking the Finish button I'm getting this exceptin

org.eclipse.jst.javaee.application.internal.impl.ApplicationImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.application.Application

Reason:

org.eclipse.jst.javaee.application.internal.impl.ApplicationImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.application.Application

Please, does anybody have an idea what I can be possibly missing or where to look at to find the cause of this problem? First time I tried OEPE few years ago and was able to get it at least running using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZL4zG5d4_4 video, this time I failed miserably.

Any Ideas would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Pavel

Best Answer

• dvohra21
    dvohra21 Member Posts: 14,573 Gold Crown
    edited Jun 9, 2018 8:59AM Answer ✓

1. Right-click your project in the Project Explorer and select Properties

2. In the Properties dialog, select Project Facets on the left panel, and then select GlassFish from the Project Facet list.

Answers

• dvohra21
    edited Jun 6, 2018 1:12PM

Glassfish 5 is sypported.

"Updated tools to support for Glassfish 5 with Java EE8 support"

Support for Glassfish 5 may need to be enabled.

Pavel_p
  • Pavel_p
    edited Jun 8, 2018 5:49AM

Please, could you be bit more specific? What does it exactly mean "Glassfish 5 may need to be enabled"? Where and how am I supposed to enable GF5 support?

• dvohra21
    edited Jun 9, 2018 8:59AM Answer ✓

1. Right-click your project in the Project Explorer and select Properties

2. In the Properties dialog, select Project Facets on the left panel, and then select GlassFish from the Project Facet list.

• Pavel_p
    edited Jun 10, 2018 2:13PM

Thank you very much for your help, unfortunately this does not fix the problem (or maybe I did something wrong). Anyway, I think I'm done with OEPE, at least for now.

• dvohra21
    edited Jun 16, 2018 6:26PM

No need to discontinue use of OEPE.  Is no GlassFish or server based facet  listed?

A project facet for GlassFish should be listed with a drop-down to select version. If a GlassFish project facet is not listed with a drop-down to select version seems to be a bug in OEPE. 

• Pavel_p
    edited Jun 22, 2018 8:45AM

Sorry for late response, I was trying to install it again from scratch.

No need to discontinue.... I haven't even started using it. After several other trials and errors (both on Windows and various Linux VMs) when I was getting various strange errors I simply have not managed to make it running (not even the simplest blank page without any DB connection) I can come to conclusion that OEPE is not for me. I wonder if someone else succeeded to install the latest version and if there are any step-by-step installation+configuration instructions - I did not find anything.

I followed the video in my original with some older version and at least I was able to get it running, however unfortunately no luck with the last one. It's a pity because I really love how ADF components look like (business-oriented look&feel with reasonably sized components - pure beauty).

• dvohra21
    edited Jul 12, 2018 8:19PM

OEPE is designed to be used with WebLogic server. Use the Windows 64-bit distribution of Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse (12.2.1.8)

Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse

• Pavel_p
    edited Jul 13, 2018 7:02AM
    OEPE is designed to be used with WebLogic server.

I'm not sure what exactly you meant by this statement. My feeling is that OEPE is designed not to be used at all and the overall "activity" on this forum perfectly corresponds with it.

• dvohra21
    edited Jul 13, 2018 1:29PM

What s meant s that Oracle WebLogic Server Tools is a set of plugins for the Eclipse IDE designed to help develop, deploy, and debug applications for Oracle WebLogic Server.

This discussion has been closed.