• 2,246,664 Discussions
  • 7,856,452 Comments

Discussions

12.2.0.1 Client Installation Win64 missing oraclsce12.dll file

Patrick_Weiden
Patrick_Weiden Member Posts: 6 Red Ribbon
edited July 2018 in Database Installation

Hi together,

we encounter a strange behavior when installing the 12.2.0.1 client installation file for Windows 64-bit (downloaded from Oracle website):

When starting e.g. tnsnping.exe from command prompt, we see a pop-up with the error message:

Window title: tnsping.exe - System Error

Window message: The program can't start because oraclsce12.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Interestingly, the client installation was smooth and no error occurred. We even tried the same with a second client installation next to the first one, but there the same problem occurs.

Note: We have a Windows Server 2016 64-bit OS.

Has anybody already encountered this problem with the missing dll file or similar client installation problems with the new 12.2.0.1 client?

Would it be a good idea to install the 12.1.0.2 client instead of 12.2.0.1?

In case you need further information, please ask for it. Thank you!

Best regards,

Patrick

Best Answer

• Patrick_Weiden
    edited June 2018 Accepted Answer

Hi,

I found the solution:

According to MOS document 2353306.1 (see [1] below) the file "oraclsce12.dll" was introduced with Oracle Client 12c Client and seems to be sort of central in terms of dependencies with other libraries.

Regarding the above mentioned problem:

If choosing Custom Install, the file oraclsce12.dll is only installed when selecting "Oracle Net". This seems to be a bug in the client installer.

Fortunately, we were able to afterwards re-run the installer and simply install the "Oracle Net" component into the already client installation destination directory, which showed up the required file.

And it is usable now!

Best regards,

Patrick

[1]: Critical Patch Update (CPU) Program April 2018 Patch Availability Document (PAD) (Doc ID 2353306.1)

Answers

• Patrick_Weiden
    edited June 2018 Accepted Answer

Hi,

I found the solution:

According to MOS document 2353306.1 (see [1] below) the file "oraclsce12.dll" was introduced with Oracle Client 12c Client and seems to be sort of central in terms of dependencies with other libraries.

Regarding the above mentioned problem:

If choosing Custom Install, the file oraclsce12.dll is only installed when selecting "Oracle Net". This seems to be a bug in the client installer.

Fortunately, we were able to afterwards re-run the installer and simply install the "Oracle Net" component into the already client installation destination directory, which showed up the required file.

And it is usable now!

Best regards,

Patrick

[1]: Critical Patch Update (CPU) Program April 2018 Patch Availability Document (PAD) (Doc ID 2353306.1)

• Wernfried
    Wernfried Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2018

I tried the workaround as provided by Oracle, i.e. copy file oraclsce12.dll from another installation to your OH\bin directory. However, this workaround works only for certain applications (e.g. Oracle Data Provider for .NET or SQL*Plus), there are more missing files.

For example, tnsping.exe does not work.

So, you have to go for the first workaround, i.e. selecting "Oracle Net" in the Oracle installer. Single copy of "oraclsce12.dll" is not sufficient.

Best Regards

Wernfried

This discussion has been closed.