• 2,247,030 Discussions
  • 7,857,465 Comments

Discussions

MySQL 5.6 Password Expired and Oracle SQL Developer

daniel_hauke
daniel_hauke Member Posts: 211 Bronze Badge
edited Aug 24, 2018 7:43AM in MySQL Community Space

Hi everybody,

we want to create a type of password expiration procedure for database users in mysql, which worked well so far.

But now we wanted to connect to the mysql database via Oracle SQL Developer and change the expired password.

But it seems that this isn't possible, because it throws the following error:

"An error was encountered performing the requested operation: You must SET PASSWORD before executing this statement"

I think it comes from the behaviour of Oracle SQL Developer, that he wants to changed the database right after the connection is established (like USE test_db).

Does anybody knows a way that i can connect with an user with an expired password via Oracle SQL Developer an change it by executing SET PASSWORD?

Greetings Daniel

Answers

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 351 Employee
    edited Jul 10, 2018 8:36AM

Please try to connect with the MySQL command line tool.    The 'You must set' message' is probably being generated by another command being sent as part of the login process (a 'use database_x' maybe) by SQL Developer

daniel_hauke
  • daniel_hauke
    edited Jul 11, 2018 8:05AM

Hi Dave,

thanks for the update.

That's what comes to my mind, that the Oracle SQL Developer is sending any other command while connecting.

As we wanted to give the enduser the chance to change the password we do not want to give them the ability to connect via the mysql command line tool.

So do you think we can get this to work with the SQL Developer. Or do we have to think about providing the enduser access to the mysql command line tool, or perhaps the mysql workbench.

Greetings Daniel

daniel_hauke
  • Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 351 Employee
    edited Jul 11, 2018 8:24AM

Sorry but I do not know SQL Developer and am not sure what it is doing.  Are you using password expiration?

• daniel_hauke
    edited Aug 24, 2018 7:42AM

Hi Dave,

sorry for the delay. I was on holiday and after that i had many things to do.

So right now we don't use the password expiration because right now we are migrating to a new MySQL Version.

When the migrations is done i will evaluate this further more.

So if i have any new informations i will come back to this thread.

Greetings Daniel