• 3,769,603 Users
  • 2,252,991 Discussions
  • 7,875,117 Comments

Discussions

Avoiding DB Performance degradation during upgrade

3372911 Member Posts: 21
edited Jul 24, 2018 3:53PM in Database Upgrade

Hi everyone,

in short we are planning to upgrade our 11g instances to 12c. We are exporting and then importing in a new environment so not an in-place upgrade.

Some of the team are suggesting that we just have to accept that performance will tank when we switch to the new environment as the DB will need time to 'warm up'. By this they are are referring to execution plans etc.

If schema statistics are being copied over as part of the export is this predicted performance apocalypse still to be reasonably expected?

Is there anything else we can do to make the transition more smooth?

I really can't see our users accepting the line 'the db needs time to warm up!'.

Any insight, articles or personal experience appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• Joerg.Sobottka
    Joerg.Sobottka Senior Consultant and Oracle Ace Member Posts: 596 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jul 24, 2018 2:37PM

Well, 99% or more of your tasks will be faster or at the same speed, for some statements you might need to tune the database a bit, but his is normal.

For the warm up - every START of a database instance means there is an empty buffer and library cache, this all needs to "warm up" and you can't really speed that up. Just use the application. Typically the first minutes are a little bit slower because there is physical I/O involved.

Which Version of 12c you want to use? 12c is a lot faster itself as 11g. If 12.2 it's fine, if 12.1 you may struggle a little bit about adaptive query optimization, then you must reconfigure that.

3372911 Member Posts: 21
    edited Jul 24, 2018 2:46PM

We are going from 11.2.0.4 to 12.2.0.1

Thank you for taking the time to reply @Joerg.Sobottka What you describe above is in line with what I understood and was expecting. The rumblings are about days and even weeks of warm up. As long as the database is in use, I don't believe this is a realistic expectation.

• Joerg.Sobottka
    Joerg.Sobottka Senior Consultant and Oracle Ace Member Posts: 596 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jul 24, 2018 3:53PM

12.2.0.1 isn't problematic at all. I have a lot of databases that where migrated from 11.2 to 12.1 and later on to 12.2 and there wasn't any performance degredation by weeks (not even by days) . Caches need to warm up to have a hit rate better 95%, but this is normal behavior since release 6 or 7... There is nothing where 12.2 makes things worser, except for maybe some exceptional statements, But this are things that can happen at EVERY change of a release as there are some small changes in statistics or optimizer behavior...

So stay relaxed in total and work on a solution of the 1 to 5 exceptional statements if you may need to tune them...

This discussion has been closed.