Forum Stats

• 3,734,697 Users
  • 2,247,027 Discussions
  • 7,857,458 Comments

Discussions

Porting a 4TB MySQL Database to Azure

3758631 Member Posts: 1
edited Aug 9, 2018 8:26PM in MySQL Community Space

Hi folks at the very onset, let me apologize for not knowing Oracle or MySQL.

I need to migrate a 4TB MySQL Database to Azure. Currently it takes 5-6 hours to do so.

I asked our project team to create a full database backup to Azure, one day prior and then apply a differential/transaction backup just one hour prior to the "go-live"

What I need is a set of commands or somebody to do some hand holding while one of our (non mysql)DBAs can run this painlessly.

Best Answer

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 350 Employee
    edited Aug 9, 2018 8:26PM Accepted Answer

Painlessly?  Really. With that much data you are going to spend several hours on the backup and several hours on the restore. 

I would think the hand holding would come from the Microsoft Azure folks as you are going to be spending a good deal of money with them.

Sorry but there is no simple, easy, done in a snap of fingers answer for you on this.

Answers

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 350 Employee
    edited Aug 9, 2018 8:26PM Accepted Answer

Painlessly?  Really. With that much data you are going to spend several hours on the backup and several hours on the restore. 

I would think the hand holding would come from the Microsoft Azure folks as you are going to be spending a good deal of money with them.

Sorry but there is no simple, easy, done in a snap of fingers answer for you on this.