I can't install ODP.Net — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,827 Users
  • 2,242,890 Discussions
  • 7,845,626 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't install ODP.Net

303460 Member Posts: 6
Hello,

I'm sorry, I know I already posted this question, but I'm completely stuck with the installation failing and I'm quite surprised that no one at Oracle seems to know the answer, so maybe I wasn't clear or didn't give enough details. Please allow me ask the question again.

I have Oracle 9.2.0.1 running on a Windows 2000 Server, and it is actually an Oracle 9i Release 1 which I have upgraded to v9.2.0.1. This server is also running my Web test server, so the .Net Framework is also installed on this server. I am trying to install the Oracle ODP.Net package on this server, but the Universal Installer reports an error "The specified key was not found while trying to GetValue" when I click "next" after having selected the products to install (occurs with or without MTS Services selected). If I choose to ignore this error, I get another error at the end "Runtime error" with no more details.

On my development computer, I have installed the Oracle Client 9.2.0.1 and ODP.Net, so I can add a reference to the Oracle.DataAccess.dll and effectively use its "objects" in my VB code, and compiling works fine. However, the page returns an error when I try to view it after having compiled it.

If I do: Dim objConn As Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OraConnection()

I have no problem.

But if I do: Dim objConn As New Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OraConnection()
Or even: Dim objConn As New Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OraConnection("...connectionstring...")

It just fails and the page shows an error.

The Oracle database is installed in the D:\ drive of the server, home is ORAHOME90 and path is d:\oracle\ora90\

On the client, it was on the C:\ Drive, so I tried to reinstall the client on the d:\ with ORAHOME92 as home and d:\oracle\ora90\ as path just to see wether it would help, but it still doesn't work. It might sound stupid, but well, you try everything when it definitively doesn't want to work :)

The Oracle server works perfectly and I still can execute whatever I want with an activex dll using the ODBC.

Can someone give me an advice ? Does anyone know why the ODP.Net installer reports this error ?

Thanks in advance,

JC

Comments

3004 Member Posts: 204,171
    Jean-Christophe,

First of all, you do not need to install ODP.NET on the server. However, the error you have encountered should not have occurred during installation. One possibility is that some registry entries required by the installer had been removed since the installtion of 9iR1. Did you try a clean install where you wipe out everything from 9iR1 before instsalling 9iR2?

With ASP.NET, privileges come into the picture. Does the ASP.NET process identity have enough privileges to access the system path (which will include ORACLE_HOME)? Otherwise, your program will not be able to find OraOps.dll in the ORACLE_HOME during execution. If you haven't already, please take a look at a discussion thread titled "ASP.NET" for details if this could be the cause.

You have mentioned that the page shows an error. What is the error? Does it provide any hints on what the problem may be?

thanks,

- nari

58568 Member Posts: 20
    Hello Jean-Christophe,
    As Kiminari mentions you do not have to install ODP.NET on the server. Seems like you had no problems installing it on your client machine and that is what you need.

If you still want to sort out the installation issues on the server, let me know.

thanks,
    Ashish
    Hello Kiminari,

Thank you for your answer !

I'm quite happy ODP.Net doesn't have to be installed on the server, that's one problem less :)

The error I get on the page is "unable to find oracledataacess.dll or one of its dependencies". That's strange because it is in the bin directory. Following your advices, I checked the permissions and the rights of the user ASPNet. I have set NTFS permissions to full control for everyone on the oracle directory, I made the user ASPNet domain admin and also granted him "logon as a batch" and "logon as service". Although this user is now a super-user, and despites the fact that everyone has now full control on the oracle directory, it still doesn't work.

Do you any other advice ?

Thanks again !

JC
    Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your answer !

I'm quite happy ODP.Net doesn't have to be installed on the server, at least I don't have to keep trying that ;)

However, I still can't make my connection work in my aspx, it says "oracledataaccess.dll" not found. Do you think it could be caused by the failed ODP installation on the server ? Would I have damaged something ?

Actually, if I installed ODP.Net successfully on the server, what would it change ?

Thank you !

JC
    182042 Member Posts: 563
    JC,

Failed installation of ODP.NET on your server should not affect you program on the client machine. Can you try installing Oracle.DataAccess assembly to the global assembly cache by issuing the following command,

gacutil /i OracleDataAccess.dll

Thanks,
    -Neeraj
    182042 Member Posts: 563
    Failed installation of ODP.NET on your server should not affect your program on the client machine. You can try installing Oracle.DataAccess.dll assembly to the global assembly cache again by issuing the following command,

gacutil /i Oracle.DataAccess.dll
    OK I will try that !

I temporarily "solved" my problem this week-end by simply copying the dll in the wwwroot/bin directory and it suddenly all worked perfectly ;)

But your solution sounds more elegant and much closer to how it should be ;)

Thank you, I'll keep you informed !

Jean-Christophe
This discussion has been closed.