Forum Stats

• 3,770,598 Users
  • 2,253,140 Discussions
  • 7,875,505 Comments

Discussions

Why would anyone run Oracle RDBMS on Docker ?

York35
York35 Member Posts: 340 Bronze Badge
edited Nov 15, 2018 1:59PM in Containers

DB version : 11g till 18c

I keep hearing about DBAs running Oracle database on Docker especially in the development environment.

How can running a 'heavy' application (relatively high on CPU, RAM Memory, Storage) like Oracle RDBMS in docker help in development environment ? What are the typical use cases of running Oracle Database on Docker ?

York35

Answers

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    edited Nov 13, 2018 3:19PM

Those heavy requirements are for production usage of Oracle Database, not for development purposes.

And the reason people are moving to running the Database in a Docker container is speed and flexibility: the container can start in under 5 minutes so if you're doing work on an initial data load (for example), you can fit a lot more crash and burn cycles into an hour than if you were using a virtual machine. And you can create thousands of containers on a single box quickly and easily. And because they're local to your development environment, you can do whatever you want to them without impacting the development cycle of anyone else.

York35York35
  • User_N0VCP
    User_N0VCP Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon
    edited Nov 15, 2018 4:05AM

Hi Avi ,

So its for development , can we create docker image of production database like we do cloning for non prod environments like UAT or DEV and can configure with applications .

Thanks

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    edited Nov 15, 2018 1:59PM

I have no idea. I'm a Linux guy, not a Database guy. You're better off asking that sort of question in a Database space or perhaps open an issue on the GitHub repo: https://github.com/oracle/docker-images