• 3,815,687 Users
  • 2,259,067 Discussions
  • 7,893,207 Comments

Discussions

Installation issues with the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2017

user10875158
user10875158 Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon

Hi,

after installing new Visual Studio Updates I have to reinstall the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2017 everytime, because the database driver doesn't work anymore - very confusing.

Is there a workaround for this issue, so that I don't have to reinstall the tools?

The new release of the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2017 18.3.0.0.0 works not at all after the installation - the integration in Visual Studio is missing afterwards, so that I can't connect to any

database - great work Oracle!

Sorry for my sarcasm, but is it very frustrating, if you want to do your work, but the Developer Tools won't work properly.

Thanks and regards,

Tom

Tagged:

Best Answer

• user10875158
    edited Nov 16, 2018 4:25AM Answer ✓

Hi Christian,

I' ve done all of your suggested steps.

I've found an old Oracle Universal installer of ODAC for the Oracle Client 11.2.0.3.0 on my system including a "Oracle Data Provider"-component, which I uninstalled.

I although have uninstalled the "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3 in Add/Remove Programs.

But now, when I try to install "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3 again, I got this error:

installation_error.jpg

:-(

So I've searched a little bit and found this site:

https://cerkit.com/2018/10/26/how-to-fix-oracle-developer-tools-for-visual-studio-2017-is-already-installed-please-unins…

After I've executed the command vsixinstaller /a /u:"Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0"<br/>on the Visual Studio 2017 developer command prompt, an uninstallation dialog of the Oracle developer tools started again.

After finishing the uninstallation process, I tried to reinstall the developer tools again - this time, the installation of the developer tools

(version 18.3) was successfully and the integration in Visual Studio 2017 finally worked!

:-)

Regards,

Tom

Answers

• 853fdf8d-dcd1-4e89-b54f-54c92d706250
    edited Nov 14, 2018 12:25PM

For me, after install the ODT 18.3 (with a message error in the log: ...Another installation is running), I note that the integration with vs 2017 was not working as you told.

so this work for me:

I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Developer Tools for VS2017\odt and installed Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0.vsix. Fixed on VS 2017 Community

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,128 Employee
    edited Nov 14, 2018 1:50PM

Hi Tom,

Sorry you are having problems with this. Could you please let me know some more details of what you see?

After you update Visual Studio, what exactly are you trying to do, and what error messages, etc are you seeing?

• user10875158
    edited Nov 15, 2018 10:07AM

Hi,

thanks for the answers so far.

I had to update Visual Studio 2017 Pro to version 15.9.0, which causes the developer tools to stop working - this happens everytime I install new Visual Studio updates.

So I completelly uninstalled the developer tools from Visual Studio 2017 (menu "Extensions and Updates") and from Windows itself.

Then I've restarted the computer and installed the tools again - this time I've picked the new version of the tools 18.3.0.0.0, the former installed version was 12.2.0.1.1.

The installation finished without any errors or warnings. I've started Visual Studio and wanted to connect to the oracle database, but what I've got is a wrong

"add connection"-window:

wrong_add_connection.jpg

where I expected this window (Note: I got this image from the internet, I normally use the oracle managed driver):

expected_add_connection.jpg

So I've checked the menu "Extensions and Updates" for the developer tools entry, but no entry existed.

What I've done so far:

I installed the exstension manually from the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle Developer Tools for VS2017\odt and installed Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0.vsix, as "853fdf8d-dcd1-4e89-b54f-54c92d706250" suggested,

but the tools still don't work. Now I got a configuration error message from the oracle developer tools, when I try to connect to an oracle database. The dialog then tries to solve the errors and finishes successfully, but when

I try to connect to the database I get the message again and again.

Do you have any further suggestions for me?

Thanks and regards,

Tom

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,128 Employee
    edited Nov 15, 2018 12:11PM

Hi Tom,

Rather than uninstalling ODT from Visual Studio Extensions menu, try uninstalling it from Windows Add/Remove Programs only.

Please try this:

1) Close Visual Studio for all these steps

2) Check your Windows Start menu to see if you have any Oracle Home items listed. If you do, run Oracle Universal Installer and see if any versions of Oracle Developer Tools are installed with Oracle Universal Installer, if so "Remove" it.

3) Now, In Add/Remove Programs uninstall "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3

These steps below install and then uninstall ODT to attempt to fix whatever is broken.

4) Reinstall  "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3

5) In Add/Remove Programs (only, not the VS menu) uninstall "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3

6) Reinstall  "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3

7) Open Visual Studio and see if the connect dialog is now working.

• user10875158
    edited Nov 16, 2018 4:25AM Answer ✓

Hi Christian,

I' ve done all of your suggested steps.

I've found an old Oracle Universal installer of ODAC for the Oracle Client 11.2.0.3.0 on my system including a "Oracle Data Provider"-component, which I uninstalled.

I although have uninstalled the "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3 in Add/Remove Programs.

But now, when I try to install "Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio" 18.3 again, I got this error:

installation_error.jpg

:-(

So I've searched a little bit and found this site:

https://cerkit.com/2018/10/26/how-to-fix-oracle-developer-tools-for-visual-studio-2017-is-already-installed-please-unins…

After I've executed the command vsixinstaller /a /u:"Oracle.VsDevTools.15.0"<br/>on the Visual Studio 2017 developer command prompt, an uninstallation dialog of the Oracle developer tools started again.

After finishing the uninstallation process, I tried to reinstall the developer tools again - this time, the installation of the developer tools

(version 18.3) was successfully and the integration in Visual Studio 2017 finally worked!

:-)

Regards,

Tom