• 2,252,726 Discussions
  • 7,874,367 Comments

Discussions

18c Express Edition requires a minimum of 1GB of physical memory

jhasanoff
jhasanoff Member Posts: 37
edited Nov 18, 2018 8:58AM in Database Installation

Hello.

I tried to install 18c on Amazon aws with free tier which have 1GB limited memory available for usage. During installation I got following error:

I want to know is there a way to bypass prerequisite checks as with EE.

[[email protected] tmp]# cat /etc/redhat-release

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.6 (Maipo)

[[email protected] tmp]#

[[email protected] tmp]# rpm -qa | grep preinstall

oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64

[[email protected] tmp]#

[[email protected] tmp]# yum -y localinstall oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm

Loaded plugins: amazon-id, rhui-lb, search-disabled-repos

Examining oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm: oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64

Marking oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm to be installed

Resolving Dependencies

--> Running transaction check

---> Package oracle-database-xe-18c.x86_64 0:1.0-1 will be installed

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

======================================================================================================================================

Package                             Arch                Version              Repository                                         Size

======================================================================================================================================

Installing:

oracle-database-xe-18c              x86_64              1.0-1                /oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64              5.2 G

Transaction Summary

Install  1 Package

Total size: 5.2 G

Installed size: 5.2 G

Downloading packages:

Running transaction check

Running transaction test

Transaction test succeeded

Running transaction

[SEVERE] Oracle Database 18c Express Edition requires a minimum of 1GB of physical

memory (RAM).  This system has 990 MB of RAM and does not meet minimum

requirements.

error: %pre(oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

Error in PREIN scriptlet in rpm package oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64

Verifying  : oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64                                                                                1/1

Failed:

oracle-database-xe-18c.x86_64 0:1.0-1                                                                                              

Complete!

[[email protected] tmp]#

Tagged:
hongming888

Best Answer

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited Nov 18, 2018 7:49AM Accepted Answer

Following approach could work. I haven't tried it myself and you may end up with other followup tasks (like adjusting the database's memory parameters) or it could even mean that you have an unstartable, broken installation. The limits are there for a reason.

Here's a high level overview of tasks:

- extract the scriptlets from the XE rpm (something like "rpm -qp --scripts <xe.rpm> > xe-scripts.txt")

- identify the preinstall scriptlet in "xe-scripts.txt", store it in a separate file and modify the memory check

- run the modified preinstall scriptlet

- install the XE rpm without the scripts ("rpm -i --noscripts <xe.rpm>")

- extract the postinstall scriptlet from "xe-scripts.txt" and run it

Let us know how it went.

Andris

Answers

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited Nov 18, 2018 7:49AM Accepted Answer

Following approach could work. I haven't tried it myself and you may end up with other followup tasks (like adjusting the database's memory parameters) or it could even mean that you have an unstartable, broken installation. The limits are there for a reason.

Here's a high level overview of tasks:

- extract the scriptlets from the XE rpm (something like "rpm -qp --scripts <xe.rpm> > xe-scripts.txt")

- identify the preinstall scriptlet in "xe-scripts.txt", store it in a separate file and modify the memory check

- run the modified preinstall scriptlet

- install the XE rpm without the scripts ("rpm -i --noscripts <xe.rpm>")

- extract the postinstall scriptlet from "xe-scripts.txt" and run it

Let us know how it went.

Andris

• jhasanoff
    jhasanoff Member Posts: 37
    edited Nov 18, 2018 8:58AM

Great Thanks Andris, you save my day. )) Here what I did:

1. Extract the scriptlets from the XE rpm  [rpm -qp --scripts oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm > xe-scripts.txt

This fail contains both preinstall, postinstall, preuninstall and postuninstall scripts.

2. Identify the preinstall scriptlet in "xe-scripts.txt", (till line 326) store it in a separate preinstall.sh file and modify the memory check (line 292)

3. run the modified preinstall.sh file

4. install the XE rpm without the scripts [rpm -i --noscripts oracle-database-xe-18c-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm]

5. extract the postinstall scriptlet from "xe-scripts.txt" (from line 328 till line 392) to postinstall.sh and run it.

Good Luck.

hongming888