• 3,876,074 Users
  • 2,267,056 Discussions
  • 7,912,419 Comments

Discussions

Problem running Oracle XE on windows

user1220639
user1220639 Member Posts: 8

Hi

I'm not a DBA and I'm not used to Oracle, but I need to have a small oracle database to test a stored procedure before installing it on my client environment.

So I thought it could be easy to install an Oracle XE...

Here is my environment : Oracle XE 11.2.0 on Windows Server 2016 Standard 64bits

After installing I follow the documentation and run SQL command line :

SQL> connect

Enter user-name: system

Enter password:

ERROR:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Process ID: 0

Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

I tried to set ORACLE_HOME=C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server  (not sure it's the good directory)

But the result is the same...

I heard about ORACLE_SID but I don't know what to put in it...

Can you help ?

clcarter

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,951 Red Diamond
    edited Nov 26, 2018 8:18AM

In Windows, services are used to auto start the database and listener - and (if I recall correctly from 8i, the current version when I last used Windows), the oradim command was used to create and delete such services. I assume XE does not behave differently in this regard.

Refer to Creating an Oracle service on Windows - Oracle FAQ for details.

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 2,049 Silver Crown
    edited Nov 26, 2018 8:43AM
  • user1220639
    edited Nov 26, 2018 8:58AM

Hi

I don't know what "Start database" is supposed to show but when I run it it just show me a prompt with C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>

Is it ok ?

Windows services OracleServiceXE and OracleXETNSListener are running

• clcarter
    clcarter Member Posts: 1,406
    edited Nov 26, 2018 10:53AM

Services might be running, but the ORA-01034: ORACLE not available ... means the instance is not running. Try starting it:

sqlplus /nolog

conn /as sysdba ;

startup ;

If installer didn't finish all its chores the database didn't get created, startup will probably gripe about the controlfile, or datafiles. Can't recall the exact location but there should be an ...\oradata\XE folder and it may be empty- should be five or six *dbf files and a controlfile in that folder. One possible cause for the database not getting created is not running the installer as a local admin user, check via a cmd.exe box:

net localgroup administrators

...administrators

...<domain>/<user>...

If %USERDOMAIN%/%USERNAME% (?) aren't on the list isn't on the list, login to the host with an admin user and deinstall, and on the installer .exe do the right click/runas administrator.

>>not sure it's the good directory

Looks pretty close- file explore and look in \oraclexe. Or type system.dbf into the explore search box explore should come up with datafiles folder. If they're present.

• cormaco
    edited Nov 26, 2018 11:01AM
    I don't know what "Start database" is supposed to show but when I run it it just show me a prompt with C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>Is it ok ?Windows services OracleServiceXE and OracleXETNSListener are running

It should start a batch skript that starts the database services.

Start Database: Starts Oracle Database XE if it is currently stopped. By default, the database is started for you after installation and every time your computer is restarted. However, to reduce the overall performance load on the system, you can manually stop the database, and then manually restart it later.(If the database is not currently stopped, an informational message is displayed that the database is already started.)
  • user1220639
    edited Nov 27, 2018 3:59AM

Hi,

You're right : oradata/XE is empty !

It's not a problem of user right because I use the user "Adminstrator" to install Oracle.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall but the problem is the same : install seems to finish without error but oradata is still empty...

And then :

SQL> conn /as sysdba;

ERROR:

ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed

• cormaco
    edited Nov 27, 2018 8:37AM
    It's not a problem of user right because I use the user "Adminstrator" to install Oracle.

That may not be enough. Right-click on setup.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

• Jason A.
    Jason A. Member Posts: 130 Blue Ribbon
    edited Nov 27, 2018 8:46AM

if you right click on the file and hit properties.  If there is a button that says "unblock" in the bottom right corner click that first and then hit ok.  Next you should right click the installer and run as administrator.

clcarter
  • user1220639
    edited Nov 28, 2018 4:48AM

Hi

There's no "unblock" button

I tried reinstalling with "run as administrator" -> same result....

• user1220639
    edited Nov 28, 2018 4:58AM

Hi

There's no "unblock" button

I tried reinstalling with "run as administrator" -> same result....