Forum Stats

• 3,727,523 Users
  • 2,245,404 Discussions
  • 7,852,848 Comments

Discussions

jdeps - Where is the documentation that *explains* it

I've seen https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/tools/jdeps.html but that only shows the command line options and doesn't document *how* to use it.  How to interpret the output etc.

I've tried it on my project and I can't get it to work in a way I understand.  Sometimes I can't get it to work at all.  For example:

jdeps -cp jaxb-api-2.4.0-b180830.0359.jar MyApplication.jar

Error: jaxb-api-2.4.0-b180830.0359.jar is a multi-release jar file but --multi-release option is not set

jdeps --multi-release 9 -cp jaxb-api-2.4.0-b180830.0359.jar MyApplication.jar

Error: KayakPluginsRepoClientGui-2.1.2-SNAPSHOT.jar is not a multi-release jar file but --multi-release option is set

Well make up your mind jdeps!! How is that second "error" even an error?  So what if my jar isn't multi-release.  I've told you what release to assume IF you encounter a multi-release jar.  If a jar isn't multi-release how is that a problem?

In other cases I'm trying to get jdeps --list-deps to produce a list of modules so I can build an appropriate runtime with jlink. My application is NOT modular.  My application uses JavaFX and I am developing with JDK 11 so JavaFX is not part of the JDK.

If I do this:

jdeps --list-deps MyApplication.jar

java.base

java.datatransfer

java.desktop

java.logging

java.prefs

jdk.jsobject

You will notice that javafx modules are not listed and there is no indication that there is anything missing.  This isn't too surprising, since jdeps hasn't been told where to find the JavaFX modules. However, even if I add them using --module-path the output still doesn't show any JavaFX modules:

jdeps --list-deps --module-path javafx-fxml-11.0.1-win.jar;javafx-controls-11.0.1-win.jar;;javafx-controls-11.0.1.jar;javafx-swing-11.0.1-win.jar;javafx-graphics-11.0.1-win.jar;javafx-graphics-11.0.1.jar;javafx-base-11.0.1-win.jar;javafx-base-11.0.1.jar MyApplication.jar

java.base

java.datatransfer

java.desktop/java.awt.dnd.peer

java.desktop/sun.awt

java.desktop/sun.awt.dnd

java.desktop/sun.swing

java.logging

java.prefs

java.scripting

java.xml

jdk.jsobject

jdk.unsupported

jdk.unsupported.desktop

Though now it is aware of additional modules from the JDK, and it is being more specific about packages in java.desktop (though I don't know why).  Curiously, if I build a runtme image with jlink that contains the JavaFX modules and use:

jdeps --system my_custom_runtime --list-deps MyApplication.jar

java.base

java.datatransfer

java.desktop

java.logging

java.prefs

javafx.base

javafx.controls

javafx.fxml

javafx.graphics

javafx.web

jdk.jsobject

Now the JavaFX modules are shown.

What is different about including the modules in a runtime and using --system vs. adding them to the module path?

Where is this stuff documented?