Forum Stats

• 3,733,849 Users
  • 2,246,830 Discussions
  • 7,856,894 Comments

Discussions

XE 18c Windows - User Administrative Privileges

User_0FKTC
User_0FKTC Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon

I am trying to install XE 18c on Windows.  The user I am logged in as does not have administrative privileges but am running the setup executable as an administrator.  I can't get past the pre-requisites.  Is installing it this way not possible?

pastedImage_0.png

clcarterMike Kutz5bb3466e-5e29-4e4d-915d-01ac7937bb6c81614471-b6f6-452c-bb20-f00097728dfd175be121-a423-4852-89a2-7a30fc075f9aAndyDaSilva52

Answers

• clcarter
    clcarter Member Posts: 1,406
    edited February 2019

From the 11g XE dox quote You must be part of the Administrators group on Windows to install Oracle Database XE /quote

Fairly certain same rule applies for 18- if a your %username% isn't in a cmd.exe `net localgroup administrators` listing, won't work. So, how does one not be an admin yet run something as and admin ... interesting ...

• User_0FKTC
    User_0FKTC Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited February 2019

Just to clarify, I am using different credentials for the run as administrator.  On my company computer, I have to use that account to install software.  I technically could log into the administrator account and install it, but I've never had to do this for any other software.  I have literally never logged into my computer as the administrator.

clcarter
  • Markus Flechtner
    Markus Flechtner Member Posts: 501 Bronze Trophy
    edited February 2019

Quote from the 18c-XE-Installation documentation:

To install Oracle Database XE:

1. Log on to Windows with Administrator privileges.

You must be part of the Administrators group on Windows to install Oracle Database XE. If you are logged in as a domain user, ensure that you are connected to the network. Otherwise, you may receive a prerequisite check failure for Administrator privileges during the install.

HTH

Markus

clcarter5bb3466e-5e29-4e4d-915d-01ac7937bb6cuser1686946
  • clcarter
    edited February 2019

Plus a right click/runas Administrator on the setup.exe program- don't think I've ever scene a good Win install without that bit.

Mike Kutz
  • Richard Smith
    Richard Smith Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2019

I'm logged into domain computer on network with account that is member of the local administrators group, extracted the zip contents to a folder and right-click/run-as-administrator on the setup.exe and get the same "User must have administrator privileges" error during install. I have two oracle home installs and several instant client installs, so I opened a command prompt in administrator mode, reset the path without the exiting oracle folders, verified ORACLE_HOME is not set and ran setup.exe from the command line with the same error.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,856 Employee
    edited February 2019

During the installation the installer checks to see if the user is a member of the local Administrators group because the XE installer adds the Windows logged in account to various Windows groups to grant DBA and other privileges.

So:

1) Please make sure you are a member of the local Administrators group.

2) If you are logged into the machine as a domain user, make sure you are on a network that can reach the domain server. If the domain server is unreachable, the prerequisite check will fail.

3) If you don't want to directly log into the machine as a domain user (who is member of local Administrators group), please create a local user, add the user to the local Administrators group and log in to Windows system using that local user. 
    4) You do not need to run setup.exe using Run as Administrator.

clcarter
  • clcarter
    edited February 2019

In a cmd.exe box run

net localgroup administrators

If there's a  %userdomain%\%username% row, then the installer code is not being accurate on admin rights-

Another possibility, is the OS a "home" version? IIRC install on any Win flavour not g.t. (greater than) home usually won't fly- pro, or server, ...

And a very remote possibility, not x64 OS? Programs for x86 *should* run fine on x64, but the other way 'round is a definite not-OK. And in the case of Oracle installers have often seen that the exact OS architecture has to be a match, x86 blows up on x64.

• User_99BYA
    User_99BYA Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    edited February 2019

I was facing the same problem when I was trying to install on my Office laptop even though I have admin rights.  When I logged on to VPN the error disappeared.

175be121-a423-4852-89a2-7a30fc075f9aUser_4RGJXbderousUser_QG80J
    1753840 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2019

Hello Dears,

I faced the same problem while installing oracle DB XE on windows 10 on my work laptop. Briefly speaking, the problem is that the admin user i was using belonged to the my company cloud domain and the installation must be run using a local administrator account created on the machine and not through the domain.

so the solution is as follows:

1- Create a new user

2- Change account type by going to control panel -> "Manage Accounts" -> select the new account you created -> select "change account type" and then change the type from "Standard" to "Administrator"

3- copy the installation binaries of the XE DB to a directory outside the home of the old admin user e.g. create a new dir like this C:\DB_home and copy the binaries into it.

4- Switch users and login with this new account. P.S: preceed the username by a dot and a backslash ".\"

5- right click setup.exe and select run as Administrator.

OR:

4- Switch users and login with this new account to create his local directories. and then switch back to your old admin user.

5- right click the setup.exe and select run with different user and then supply the credentials of the new admin. P.S: preceed the username by a dot and a backslash ".\"

thank you.

Kareem

• L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,529 Bronze Crown
    edited March 2019

Please do not hijack the thread, if you have a similar problem and the advice / solutions given here do not solve it, open a new thread and post the exact details of your problem.

• a25e3a04-e5f9-45f8-aac3-5d69f70cced3
    edited March 2019

I am still having the same issue, I have the full access as 'Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain'. but getting below error.

pastedImage_0.png

• L. Fernigrini
    edited March 2019

Have you run the installer "as Administrator" besides being member of the Administrator group?

pastedImage_0.png

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited March 2019

You will need to be connected to the same network as the domain controller so that XE may query it to find out if you are administrator. Please see my post above.

If you cannot get it to work, please create a local user, add the user to the local Administrators group and log in to Windows system using that local user.  Then install.

• L. Fernigrini
    edited March 2019

And please:

1) Change your username to something more legible and easy to identify/remember (does not have to be your real name)

2) If you still have the problems and had tried all that has been discussed here, start a new thread and post all the relevant details, do no hijack other user question with your own question.

• bderous
    bderous Member Posts: 29 Bronze Badge

Same here, When I established a VPN connection to my work, the error did not show any more. Without the VPN, the error was there.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

I would like to emphasize the above answer for anyone who hits this in the future.

• User_S70YU
    User_S70YU Member Posts: 0

None of these solutions did work for me. And, in any case, I'm impressed how such an incredibly bad implemented useless check which is already verified by Windows itself is required in the installer. Could you please explain why the installer checks for such redundant information which is not able to understand? Why would I ever have to try such workarounds when I am already an administrator and its the installer which is incorrectly implemneted? Why not fixing the installer instead of asking people to try the workarounds? Certainly Oracle's millions of dollars are useless as no actual programmer seems to want to work with them.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi there,

I agree with your frustration that the 18c XE installer on Windows had many problems and I am sorry about that. In the next release of XE we are trying to address all of them and I am pretty sure that we have. However, I want to be sure - since it seems like my post above did not solve your problem.

If you did indeed try the following and you still cannot install, I would like to try to get some logs from you so we can make sure this is fixed in the next release. If you can help me, please email me at christian dot shay at oracle dot com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Please make sure you are a member of the local Administrators group.

2) If you are logged into the machine as a domain user, make sure you are on a network that can reach the domain server. If the domain server is unreachable, the prerequisite check will fail.

3) If you don't want to directly log into the machine as a domain user (who is member of local Administrators group), please create a local user, add the user to the local Administrators group and log in to Windows system using that local user. 

4) You do not need to run setup.exe using Run as Administrator.

---------------------------------------------------

• anishjp
    anishjp Member Posts: 21 Blue Ribbon

Hi there

In my case, I had to connect to my work network to pass the check even though my user had administrative privilege's.

Regards,

Anish

• User_TOVJC
    User_TOVJC Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

I encountered the same problem in a company environment - DOMAIN\USERNAME. So I connected via VPN so it could be verified that my User is in the Admin group. Then it worked just fine.