• 3,758,938 Users
  • 2,251,479 Discussions
  • 7,870,440 Comments

Discussions

sqlcl execution blocked by group policy due to .dll file in temp directory

StuartH
StuartH Member Posts: 16
edited Apr 8, 2019 10:41AM in SQLcl

On initial execution of sql.exe it creates a dll file in the Windows TEMP directory and then tries to execute it.

Such an action is blocked by our group policy.  See evidence below.

This is something that could be changed/fixed in a future release?

I'm using the sql.exe that is packaged with SQL Dev 18.1 on Windows 10.

Let me know if you need any further information?

Thanks

2019-04-05_10-50-53.png

Tagged:
StuartHGlen Conway

Best Answer

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 1,682 Bronze Crown
    edited Apr 8, 2019 2:51AM Accepted Answer

These DLLs are created in java.io.tmpdir.

You can change the value to a path where you have write and execute rights to by setting JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS="-Djava.io.tmpdir=<Path>"

StuartHStuartHGlen Conway

Answers

• Glen Conway
    Glen Conway Member Posts: 859 Gold Badge
    edited Apr 5, 2019 4:52PM

Searching in the Content tab of the SQLcl space, the only discussion referring to "group policy" is yours, and the only other one referring to "blocked" for a security issue (probably a false positive for a virus scan) is Oracle SQLcl 4.2 Download .

In that discussion, one of the posters mentions that SQLcl (version 4.2 is a bit old, so not sure if his comments still apply to 18.x) tries to find the Java install, and if it does not, then tries to download and install it (which I find hard to believe -- that's going too far, in my opinion!).  Probably more likely, since your post refers to 18.1 with an error message about a jansi dll, either try upgrading to the last (18.4) sqlcl, or try the workaround mentioned in , reply 6 regarding the problem in 18.1 and 18.2 (at least) of the missing jansi jar file.

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 1,682 Bronze Crown
    edited Apr 8, 2019 2:51AM Accepted Answer

These DLLs are created in java.io.tmpdir.

You can change the value to a path where you have write and execute rights to by setting JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS="-Djava.io.tmpdir=<Path>"

StuartHStuartHGlen Conway
  • StuartH
    StuartH Member Posts: 16
    edited Apr 8, 2019 10:41AM

This was helpful. Though in the end we managed to agree an exception to the group policy for this.