Support for advanced datatypes (Spatial, XMLType, JSON) with Managed Driver — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,652 Users
  • 2,242,820 Discussions
  • 7,845,479 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support for advanced datatypes (Spatial, XMLType, JSON) with Managed Driver

Andreas Weiden
Andreas Weiden Member Posts: 10,868 Gold Crown
edited May 2019 in ODP.NET

Hi,

were using the Oracle database especially for the advanced features in the spatial areas. In the last years, other interchangeable dataformats like XMLTYPE and Json become more and more important also for us.

On the other side our client-software changes more and more to C#. We're using the Unmanaged-driver at the moment and are able to deal with Sptail by using the UDT-features at the moment. But sooner or later we will be forced to go forward to use the managed-driver, which does not seem to develop forward to support any of the mentioned datatypes.

Are there any plans to change this in the near future (and i mean near future, i asked the question about Spatial several years ago and nothing happend til now).?

CarstenL91

Answers

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    Alex Keh-Oracle Posts: 2,751 Employee
    edited May 2019

Unfortunately, not in the near future. Porting UDTs to 100% managed code is a very big task.

Other ODP.NET Spatial customers have used well-known text to make the jump from unmanaged to managed ODP.NET.

• Andreas Weiden
    Andreas Weiden Member Posts: 10,868 Gold Crown
    edited May 2019

Ok, but even if something is a very big task it needs to be done either at some point in time. Otherwise you will loose the strength of your product in my opinion.

And about WKT... That might work with small and few geometries. We have geometries with more than 100.000 vertices. That doesn't work for us. And we have business objects which consist of about 1000 records with such geometries. So even if it would work technically, it would be a performance nightmare.