• 2,252,771 Discussions
  • 7,874,518 Comments

Discussions

MySQL Clustering Options

Mubashar Iftikhar
Mubashar Iftikhar Member Posts: 49
edited May 18, 2019 9:15AM in MySQL Community Space

I have two MySQL Database Servers i.e.

One is Active Server --> Master and second is Passive Server --> Slave.

and as we know we have 3-4 MySQL HR,DR Solutions / Clustering options. For example

01 : MySQL NDB Cluster

02 : MySQL InnoDB Cluster

03 : MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade

My First Question is i want to deploy One Active & One Passive MySQL Server so which Cluster Option / HA,DR Option will be fit for above mentioned scenario ?
My Second Question is suppose i have deploy One Active & One Passive MySQL Server in any above mentioned Cluster Option / HA,DR Option. So what about licensing ? I have to buy license of MySQL Servers/ Cluster ?

Regards,

Mubashar Iftikhar | +92-300-6448072 |

Associate Integration Analyst ,

Oracle Certified Professional

Multilynx, Pakistan

Mubashar Iftikhar

Best Answer

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 366 Employee
    edited May 17, 2019 9:22AM Accepted Answer

You are using the traditional async or semi-sync replication with a master/slave which is not on your list.  The slave provides limited DR functionality. And for HA you will need at least three servers.

You are probably wanting InnoDB cluster for HA as it has the ability to deal with a faulty server and provides HA.  I would also recommend a forth server(or more) using async replication to aid in DR/backups.

NDB cluster and the  carrier grade are based on NDB which is a high speed, in memory database (with disk flush) where you will also need at least three nodes (and at least two data nodes) for fault tolerance.

Second question: You can use community edtions for all you listed save the Carrier Grade NDB.  But I recommend getting a support contract especially of your paycheck depends on your DB being up as much as possible.

Dave Stokes

MySQL Community Manager

Mubashar IftikharMubashar Iftikhar

Answers

• Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle
    Dave Stokes-MySQL Community Team-Oracle MySQL Community Manager TexasMember Posts: 366 Employee
    edited May 17, 2019 9:22AM Accepted Answer

You are using the traditional async or semi-sync replication with a master/slave which is not on your list.  The slave provides limited DR functionality. And for HA you will need at least three servers.

You are probably wanting InnoDB cluster for HA as it has the ability to deal with a faulty server and provides HA.  I would also recommend a forth server(or more) using async replication to aid in DR/backups.

NDB cluster and the  carrier grade are based on NDB which is a high speed, in memory database (with disk flush) where you will also need at least three nodes (and at least two data nodes) for fault tolerance.

Second question: You can use community edtions for all you listed save the Carrier Grade NDB.  But I recommend getting a support contract especially of your paycheck depends on your DB being up as much as possible.

Dave Stokes

MySQL Community Manager

Mubashar IftikharMubashar Iftikhar
  • Mubashar Iftikhar
    edited May 18, 2019 9:02AM

Dear Dave Stokes,
    This is a requirement from client side and he wants only One Master and One Slave for HA solution & for that i was confused which (NDB, InnoDB, Cluster Carrier Grade ) will be best for that scenario.

• Mubashar Iftikhar
    edited May 18, 2019 9:15AM

Dear Dave Stokes,
    If i use Three Servers including (One Master & One Slave). & MySQL InnoDB for HA/Clustering that can full fill my requirements or not ?
    Kindly clear this thing again. 
    Further can you please share with me any reference link related Pros & Cons of all three above mentioned  HR,DR Solutions / Clustering options ?
    By the way thanks for your response. You are great sir . Your response is very helpfull for me