Forum Stats

• 3,769,895 Users
  • 2,253,029 Discussions
  • 7,875,233 Comments

Discussions

Has anyone run successfully an Oracle DB instance on a Windows Server Container?

Juan Perez
Juan Perez Member Posts: 1
edited Sep 17, 2019 5:48AM in Containers

Has someone successfully built or run in Docker for Windows a Windows Server 2016 image or container running an instance of Oracle Database 12c, 18c or 19c?

Sean Schneeweiss

Comments

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    edited May 21, 2019 4:17PM

Is there a particular reason why you want to use a Windows container instead of a Linux one? We don't support any Oracle products running inside a Windows container, so even if you do get it working, it really wouldn't be recommended even for dev/test purposes.

Our recommendation for users on Windows is to use VirtualBox (for desktop usage) or Hyper-V (servers) and run an Oracle Linux 7 guest with Oracle Container Runtime for Docker installed. We even have Vagrant builds that can automate this for you: https://github.com/oracle/vagrant-boxes

• Sean Schneeweiss
    Sean Schneeweiss Member Posts: 5
    edited Jul 18, 2019 5:13AM

Hello Avi,

I would also like to use the Linux containers but unfortunately in some companies all engineers and support staff are educated and trained for Windows systems only. In addition customers tend to avoid Linux and will only buy the software solutions when provisioned on Windows systems.

I'm extremely interested in the Oracle products inside Windows containers - as presented by your colleague Christian Shay (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/tech-info/oow18windowscontainers-5212844.pdf ), Oracle is even trying to do so too. Are there any future plans on Oracle products inside Windows Containers? Might there be a support for that in the near future? Or has Oracle already decided to never support that scenario?

Really looking forward to your response.

Best regards

Sean

• Avi Miller-Oracle
    Avi Miller-Oracle Senior Solution Architect, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Developer Adoption Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,821 Employee
    edited Jul 18, 2019 3:51PM

If a product team decides to invest resources into it, then that's great. You'll need to check with the product team. For what I hope is an obvious reason, the Oracle Linux team won't be doing this, though.

• Sean Schneeweiss
    edited Aug 15, 2019 3:24PM

Plausible. Can you recommend a way to contact the product team?

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,965 Employee
    edited Aug 21, 2019 12:29PM

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your interest in Oracle Database on Windows Containers. Oracle does plan to support Oracle Database on Windows Containers and we hope to make an announcement with more details of our plans by the end of this year.  The announcement will be posted on our Windows Server Center: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/windows.html

I will be doing another presentation at Openworld SF on this topic in a few weeks, and I invite you to check out the slides for that when they become available.

It is possible to get this running today - as you noticed the details are in last years slides, there are a couple hacks you need to do to workaround a bug that blocks the installation.  However it is officially not supported until we make that announcement I referred to.

Thanks,

Christian

Sean Schneeweiss
  • Sean Schneeweiss
    edited Sep 17, 2019 5:48AM

Hello Christian,

that is wonderful news. Thank you a lot.

• user3986273
    user3986273 Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon

Is there an updated answer to the question...

"Has anyone run successfully an Oracle DB instance on a Windows Server Container?"

It turns out that Docker can not run a Windows container and a Linux container simultaneously. I'd like to use an Oracle database in Windows to do functional/integration tests for a Windows application that is also running in a container.

• User_3TUKA
    User_3TUKA Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon

Hi @Christian.Shay -Oracle,

Any news about this topic? our company waiting for this a couple of years.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,965 Employee
    edited Jul 16, 2021 3:44PM

I'm sorry to say that we have suspended our efforts to certify Oracle Database on Windows Containers and I am not sure if or when the effort will restart.

I will say that as part of our earlier efforts, we fixed the installer bugs involved. So, as long as you stay on Oracle Database 19.7 or higher, and use the LTSC Server Core container, you should be in pretty good shape (although it won't be a supported configuration).

• User_3TUKA
    User_3TUKA Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon

Hi @Christian.Shay -Oracle ,

Thank you for providing such information!

We are huge company who is developing an application which runs on Windows system and accordingly our developers also using this system. Our application supporting two types of DB [Oracle, MSSQL], for MSSQL we have a CI/CD procedure that constantly building an application into a docker image, which is can be easily run on any computer in our company for testing purposes.

We already spend some time trying to have the same procedures for Oracle using Docker Linux mode and WSL witch is not what would like to use.

In case if you can share docker images that contain Oracle installation or some kind of instruction that can be used for building such an image we will appreciate it.

Thank you!