Scaffold-DbContext ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,654 Users
  • 2,242,820 Discussions
  • 7,845,479 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaffold-DbContext ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

jb06
jb06 Member Posts: 4
edited May 2019 in ODP.NET

I am trying to scaffold some classes from an Oracle database for use with a .NET Core Web API. I have installed the Oracle.EntityFrameworkCore nuget package, v2.18.0-beta3

Scaffold command - Scaffold-DbContext "<span style="color: #242729; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: #eff0f1;">User ID={UserId};Password={Password};</span>Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcpcom.world)(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST={Host})(PORT={Port})))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID={SID})))" {Provider} -o Models

The error I receive: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

I can use the connection string from the scaffold command to query the database and return records.

References:

StackOverflow question

Best Answer

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    Alex Keh-Oracle Posts: 2,751 Employee
    edited May 2019 Accepted Answer

The VS Package Manager Console provides a PowerShell interface. I would expect a PowerShell reserved symbol, such as ($), would not be treated as a literal character. What happens when you escape the ($) or have a password without ($)?

Most of the time I encounter these ORA-01017 errors, it's a result of reserved symbols of the language/app that the user tries to log in from.

Answers

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited May 2019

Does the user name or password have any special characters? If so, what are they and does the issue reproduce if you stick with an user name and password that is strictly alphanumeric?

• jb06
    edited May 2019

It does have special characters, underscore (_) and dollar sign ($).

As for using a password that is alphanumeric, that's not really an option because the passwords assigned to the account are not under our control to change.

• Alex Keh-Oracle
    edited May 2019 Accepted Answer

The VS Package Manager Console provides a PowerShell interface. I would expect a PowerShell reserved symbol, such as ($), would not be treated as a literal character. What happens when you escape the ($) or have a password without ($)?

Most of the time I encounter these ORA-01017 errors, it's a result of reserved symbols of the language/app that the user tries to log in from.

• jb06
    edited May 2019

This was the issue. I simply added a backtick (`) in front of the ($) and the scaffold command ran successfully (kinda). Now I have another issue, but I will post another question if I can't figure it out.

Thanks for your time and assistance.