This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,054 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

Spatial index, but no Oracle Spatial database,..how?

cmtea
cmtea Member Posts: 4
edited Jun 6, 2019 7:20PM in General Database Discussions

Hi,

We have an Oracle database that has been extended with Oracle locator. If I understand it correctly, Oracle locator is basically somewhere in between a none spatial Oracle database and a spatial database.

It doesn't provide the true functionality of a spatial database (as in querying by applying spatial functions etc.) but only provides the coordinates of bounding boxes of the spatial features that are stored within the database.

However, when studying the database, I've noticed that there is indeed a spatial index on the database, as in there's a "geom" column.

How am I supposed to interpret this column? Is it the same as with a spatial database or is it different in Oracle locator?

Rumor has it, that Oracle provides all the functionality of a spatial database with the Oracle locator, however, will only charge money when you actually use this spatial functionality. Is this true? If I apply a spatial query will it actually work, but will I or my company receive a bill at the end of the month? :-)

Say we have some external applications that we want to be able to read/ edit the data, will it be able for those application to interpret the data spatially through the "geom" column?

Thanks in advance

Tagged:
cmtea

Best Answer

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Cape TownMember Posts: 28,976 Red Diamond
    edited May 28, 2019 1:37AM

For licensing overview, see:

• Oracle Spatial and Oracle Locator Licensing Information (Doc ID 1066837.1)

Primary support note is:

• Master Note for Oracle Spatial and Oracle Locator Installation (Doc ID 220481.1)
  • cmtea
    edited May 28, 2019 8:18AM

Hi,

Thanks, but I can't open the links since I can't provide the needed licensing information.

I work in a large company, and I simply don't have that information and getting it will probably take quite some time, if I'm even allowed to be provided with it.

I'm just looking for a general overview, preferable from people who also either have a Oracle Locator database, or  an Oracle spatial database.

• Gwen Lazenby  -Oracle
    Gwen Lazenby -Oracle Senior Principal Training Consultant Member Posts: 8 Employee
    edited May 28, 2019 6:00PM Answer ✓

Hi,

You will be able to access the documentation without a support identifier, and the link below will tell you what functionality is included in  Oracle Locator and what you need the Oracle Spatial and Graph option for.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/spatl/oracle-locator.html#GUID-EC6DEA23-8FD7-4109-A0C1-93C…

Locator includes standard R-tree indexes and much more functionality. I’ve met a few companies over the years who are paying for the Spatial and Graph option as they have a ’spatial’ database, but actually are only using Locator functionality.

Gwen

cmteacmtea
  • cmtea
    edited May 29, 2019 2:44AM
  • cmtea
    edited Jun 5, 2019 3:57AM

Hi @Gwen Lazenby -Oracle ,

It's a lot more clear to me what the exact differences are between Oracle LOcator and Oracle Spatial Graph.

I do however still have a question.

I have managed to read the 1066837.1 document, which was sent to me by our company IT provider. In it there's a passge which states:

Note: Prior to 10gR1 Oracle Locator and Oracle Spatial are not differentiated. If you want to use Oracle Locator in a database

release prior to 10gR1 then you will see Oracle Spatial in the DBA_REGISTRY but you do not need to concern about the licensing if you are not using the Spatial features.

See the bolded in the passage. Say, we have database of a version prior to the mentioned 10gR1, and we would use the (advanced) spatial functionality. Would we then have to pay since in those early database releases there's no difference between Locator and Spatial Graph? How am I supposed to interpret the bolded?

And does that mean that the rumors (see intial question) are somewhat true for early Oracle releases?

Thanks in advance.

• Gwen Lazenby  -Oracle
    Gwen Lazenby -Oracle Senior Principal Training Consultant Member Posts: 8 Employee
    edited Jun 6, 2019 7:20PM

Hi,

Oracle Locator, or as it is originally called, Oracle interMedia Locator is documented as far back as Oracle 8.1.6, at about which time the Oracle Spatial option was migrating to the object relational model that it now uses. You can check with is documentation whether what you your earlier databases are using Locator or not.

9iR1 docs are here https://docs.oracle.com/cd/A91202_01/901_doc/appdev.901/a88805/sdo_loca.htm#631985

10gR1 saw the beginning of the huge expansion in Spatial and Graph functionalities, it was about this time that people became more aware of the difference in Locator to Spatial, with the Spatial and Graph option being a very much larger product, with the smaller Locator option at its core.

Gwen

cmteacmtea