• 3,727,834 Users
  • 2,245,473 Discussions
  • 7,853,056 Comments

Discussions

String and character array difference

HariNagarjuna
HariNagarjuna Member Posts: 1
edited September 2019 in New To Java

This is what I understood about difference between strings and array of characters so far and unicode(U+0000 to U+FFFF).

1.Unicode of BMP is combination of 0's and 1's and gives 65,536(2^16 or 16^4) characters.

2.character array can only contain this 65,536 BMP unicode characters.

3.String can have things other than unicode characters in BMP(65,536 characters).

please correct me if I am wrong.

Answers

• OrhanCemalDuru
    OrhanCemalDuru Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2019

Character encoding tables vary, the class String is, as far as I am concerned, capable of displaying, formatting, and manipulating characters of any encoding type.

The numbers you give relate to INTEGER_MAX value which also applies to memory allocation of arrays (taking into account the data type). For instance if you have a byte array of length INTEGER_MAX, you get INTEGER_MAX bytes of memory allocated for use. I'm not sure if all encoding tables use a fixed amount of memory, ones I know use a single byte for a single character. So there are 2^8 possible different representations for each character set. That makes 256 unique representations.

• nihitthakkar
    nihitthakkar Member Posts: 110 Blue Ribbon

The basic difference between string and character array are: String refers to a sequence of characters while represented as a single data type. Character Array is a sequential collection of data type char. Strings are immutable and Character Arrays are mutable. Built in functions are provided in Strings but it is not provided in Character Array.

• nihitthakkar
    nihitthakkar Member Posts: 110 Blue Ribbon

The basic difference between string and character array are: String refers to a sequence of characters while represented as a single data type. Character Array is a sequential collection of data type char. Strings are immutable and Character Arrays are mutable. Built in functions are provided in Strings but it is not provided in Character Array.