Forum Stats

• 3,740,129 Users
  • 2,248,191 Discussions
  • 7,861,052 Comments

Discussions

Bjego
Bjego Member Posts: 17 Red Ribbon

Hey guys,

your Visual Studio Code extension is really cool. I love working with it. But I'd like to see the following features in future, I guess not everything can be done but here's my wishlist.

• Intellisense on "shortNames" - makes joining and quering much easier
    • Select e.col1 from table1 e where e.col2 ='foo'; --e does not have intellisense
  • Setting the default "GridExport" to Json (maybe as a user setting)
  • We are deploying our sql files to production via SQL Plus
  • Building and debugging packages
    • Haven't get it working - would be great if you could intregrate Visual Studio Code Breakpoints to debug package bodies
  • Inspecting a Table / Object via Visual Studio Code GUI
    • It would be great if I could "double click" on a table in my query and get a grafical feedback about the whole table, so I could get an idea which coulumns must be set, or which ones are unique..
      • Columns
      • Triggers
      • Indexes
  • Server Explorer (This is already annouced by you guys )
  • Graphical Database diagramms by just selecting one or more Tables (maybe you could use plantumls integration in VSCode for that)
  • Communication via github as you do for the docker-images or entity framework core
  • Really great would be an port this extention to Azure Data Studio as well

I hope I could give you an rough idea, about the features I'd like to see.

In general I must say I love your extension and Visual Studio Code is now my favorite IDE to do oracle related stuff. Especially Queries, Tables and Views. And I hope that you extend this cool tool.

SQL Plus Task:

{    // See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=733558    // for the documentation about the tasks.json format    "version": "2.0.0",    "tasks": [        {            "label": "Deploy with SQL Plus ([email protected])",            "type": "shell",            "command": "exit | sqlplus USER/[email protected] @${file}",            "group": {                "kind": "build",                "isDefault": true            },            "presentation": {                "echo": true,                "reveal": "always",                "focus": false,                "panel": "shared",                "showReuseMessage": true,                "clear": false            }        }    ]}

Edit:

• Please add support for the dbms output as well. See below.
Bjego

Answers

• chrisdev
    chrisdev Member Posts: 4
    edited Jul 17, 2019 11:30AM

I like these ideas, especially support for aliased tables and running @ files through SQL Plus I think should be high priority.

I would like to add a request for symbols support. It is implemented perfectly in Language PL/SQL extension, but is currently not compatible with this extension.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=xyz.plsql-language

DocumentSymbol.gif

Thank you!

Bjego
  • Bjego
    edited Jul 26, 2019 4:48AM

And what I've fogot:

Please add support for the DBMS output:

BEGIN

dbms_output.put_line('Hello world!');

END;

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,878 Employee
    edited Aug 2, 2019 7:18PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback!!! And thank you very much for the compliment!

We just released a new version of the extension ( version 19.3.1, released 7/31/19) which among other things includes a Oracle Database Browser tree control and the fix for the problem you saw with DBMS_OUTPUT package. Please try it out and let us know what you think. If you don't have automatic update enabled see the quickstart for instructions on how to update:

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/dotnet/odtvscodequickstart.html

Bjego
  • Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,878 Employee
    edited Aug 2, 2019 7:19PM
    bd0cac95-fd73-4674-9724-2e1963d08a88 wrote:I like these ideas, especially support for aliased tables and running @ files through SQL Plus I think should be high priority.I would like to add a request for symbols support. It is implemented perfectly in Language PL/SQL extension, but is currently not compatible with this extension.https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=xyz.plsql-language 
    DocumentSymbol.gif

Thank you!

Hi could you provide more details for "symbols support" so I can understanbd what you mean... an example of what you can do with it in  the Language PL/SQL extension would be good...

• Bjego
    edited Oct 24, 2019 9:32AM

Good morning @Christian.Shay -Oracle

sorry for my late awnser. I didn't saw your post until now...

I like the new features you provided with the extention in the last couple of month.
    Especially the object browser is cool.

Features I'd like there could be and I missed today:

• See tables from other Shemas users
    • When I open the infos of a table I can see the indexes and constraints
      • How about a feature of expanding the index to see the affected columns and the type of the index (unique - columns are A,B,C,D)
      • This could be a real time saver to add one or more columns to an existing unique index
      • Right click feature like drop index or update index, which creates such scripts (from the current values)
        • DROP INDEX Schema.MyIndex; ( for drop and update)

• create unique index Schema.MyIndex on Schema.MyTable(A,B,C) tablespace MyTableSpace; (for update)

• Any news on the "squash files" and deploy with sql plus topics, including a problem matcher?
    • Building and debugging plSql packages is a big feature I guess - I assume such a change will take some time
    • Is there something like building grafical diagramms on your roadmap yet? I guess you could easily intregrate Mermaid.Js for it - it seems to be easier to integrate then plantuml I already suggested.

And by the way is there some official "Release Notes" page for your .net core components?

Today I spotted your update of https://www.nuget.org/packages/Oracle.EntityFrameworkCore/  - maybe you could link the release notes there somewhere?