VSCode requests — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,830 Users
  • 2,242,890 Discussions
  • 7,845,632 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VSCode requests

Alias auto-complete. Also I want to setup a schema so that it is the default one per connection. I don't want to enter it every time for intellisense to work

Parameter support. Let us add parameter values and types on the query when they are detected on the file like ":THEDATE". It should remember every value and parameter type on any future file/season using a history file? with values/types per parameter names!

Show script. (shortcut) when on any object/table/view/procedure/package etc it should open the DML sql script of it on a separate tab so i can change it.

Run current query. (shortcut) (without selecting it). Parse the file I'm in and detect the current query that is between two blank lines and execute it.

Result page customization. Maybe add horizontal split support, color changes etc!

dmerrill-Oracle

Comments

3433534 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019

The problem here may be my lack of know-how, but how about script output?

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,786 Employee
    edited August 2019

We just released a new version of the extension ( version 19.3.1, released 7/31/19) which among other things includes a Oracle Database Browser tree control. I believe it addresses your "run current query" request. Please try it out and let us know what you think. If you don't have automatic updated enabled see the quickstart for instructions on how to update:

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/dotnet/odtvscodequickstart.html

For result page customization, we have made horizontal split easier. See the bottom of the quickstart for more info.

3433534 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019

Cool, Christian!

I haven’t succeeded at discovering how can I browse a schema other than my current logged in account?

Any tips?

Thanks!!

Geoff Switz

• James Brockman
    James Brockman Member Posts: 7 Red Ribbon
    edited August 2019

I'd like to echo what 3433534 is saying:  In my shop, management is moving away (quickly) from giving developers the schema owner credentials and instead, using Oracle User Proxies - even in DEV.  For a lot of what I do now, I have drop out of Visual Studio and VS Code, go to SQL Developer, do my thing, then hop back.  SQL Developer is a good product, but with the best of all worlds I could do it all in one tool, whether VS or VS Code. - jdb

dmerrill-Oracle
  • Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited August 2019
    2846126 wrote:I'd like to echo what 3433534 is saying: In my shop, management is moving away (quickly) from giving developers the schema owner credentials and instead, using Oracle User Proxies - even in DEV. For a lot of what I do now, I have drop out of Visual Studio and VS Code, go to SQL Developer, do my thing, then hop back. SQL Developer is a good product, but with the best of all worlds I could do it all in one tool, whether VS or VS Code. - jdb

You will need to use a ODP.NET connect string if you want to use proxy authentication. We'll try to improve this soon:

Use option "New Connection"

When prompted for connect string, enter:

User Id=testuser;Data Source=localhost/XEPDB1;Proxy User Id=myproxyuser;Proxy Password=myproxypass;

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/195399/oracle-connecting-as-a-proxy-user-via-connection-string

• James Brockman
    James Brockman Member Posts: 7 Red Ribbon
    edited August 2019

Using EZ-Connect strings within an ODP.NET connect string seems to a make a world of difference.  I'll try this some more over the next few days and get back to you.  Thanks. - jdb

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Please check out our latest 19.3.3 release - we have addressed several of the issues in this thread. Let us know what you think!