Your feedback wanted: New Update to Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code version 19.3.2 (released 9/30 — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,830 Users
  • 2,242,890 Discussions
  • 7,845,632 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your feedback wanted: New Update to Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code version 19.3.2 (released 9/30

Christian.Shay -Oracle
Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,786 Employee

We have just released a new update to Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code, version 19.3.2 (released 9/30/19). Please try it out and start a thread in this forum with your feedback or reply to this thread.

Visual Studio Code automatically checks for extension updates and installs them. After updating you will be prompted to restart Visual Studio Code. If you have disabled automatic updates, press F1 to open the Command Palette and enter the Check for Extension Updates command and click the Update... button which will appear in the list of installed extensions.

If you are new to this extension, please see the quickstart:

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/dotnet/odtvscodequickstart.html

Changes in version 19.3.2

• Editor supports autocompletion of schema object names
  • New connection dialog replaces "interview style" connection process
  • "Develop New Query" menu item renamed to "Develop New SQL or PL/SQL"
  • File extension .sql is now default rather than .plsql
  • "Run" Stored Procedure/Function shortcut changed to Ctrl-E
  • Run Stored Procedure/Function saves unsaved code to database before executing
  • "Delete Connection", "Update Connection", "Connect", and "Disconnect" menu items added to Oracle Database Explorer
  • "Refresh" menu item added to all Oracle Database Explorer nodes
  • Oracle Database Explorer supports filtering to display a subset of nodes
vasjaUser_835IIc8f68cca-622e-4738-a70c-439a2a13f259user1175340Pobulic

Answers

• c2231f33-9491-4880-98f4-c11eb36352b0
    edited October 2019

Please we need only one result of the query to be copied, since I have to always save the entire result

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited October 2019
    c2231f33-9491-4880-98f4-c11eb36352b0 wrote:Please we need only one result of the query to be copied, since I have to always save the entire result

You can already save an entire resultset in either CSV or JSON format by clicking the icon on the far right. If that is not enough, can you try to explain what you are looking for? Thanks!

• luke_oth
    luke_oth Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited October 2019

In new version compilation of the package ends with:

SQL: CREATE OR REPLACE
    Error: Oracle error ORA-12571 encountered does not have existing connection

or
    Specified URI '...' does not have existing connection

So how should I compile the package?

And still - During editing a package I don't see the outline... Where can I find list of functions and procedures?

I am using VS code on MacOS.

• cb52a464-4197-422f-a464-30631071f263
    edited October 2019

I was searching an extension for Vscode and I found this one, for me is impressive the work made on that. Also, using Oracle Developer I do lot's of work with other users objects, and there is no other users objects on  VSCODE extension, just appear my user objects. Is possible explore others schemas with my user with VSCODE extension?

vasjaUser_835II
  • G. Montoya
    G. Montoya Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019

Executing multiple CREATE statements in a single script fails.

The CREATE statements immediately following the first appear to remove all whitespace.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited October 2019
    G. Montoya wrote:Executing multiple CREATE statements in a single script fails.The CREATE statements immediately following the first appear to remove all whitespace.

I can't reproduce this with the following... can you give me an example?

create table eemp1 as select * from employees;

create table eemp2 as select * from employees;

create table eemp3 as select * from employees;

create table eemp4 as select * from employees;

• vasja
    vasja Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2019

Results of Select query don't allow selecting same named column more than once. People use such queries regularly when analyzing data.

Usually similar tools add some suffix to column names.

Two examples of such queries below.

Ex1:

SQL: select DUMMY, d.* from dual d
    Error: A column named 'DUMMY' already belongs to this DataTable

Ex2:

SQL: select d.DUMMY, d2.DUMMY from dual d inner join dual d2 on 1=1
    Error: A column named 'DUMMY' already belongs to this DataTable.
    c8f68cca-622e-4738-a70c-439a2a13f259
  • Ray007
    Ray007 Member Posts: 17 Bronze Badge
    edited November 2019

Are radius authenticated connections supported?

• golinski
    golinski Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2019

Hello!

Everything works fine for me!

I have only a request to improve usability.

I need the ability to collapse procedures and functions bodies into one line. Now I can fold only parts of the code based on indentation.

Thanks!

• 914216ae-03a5-4af7-977a-95bab16dc574
    edited December 2019

we need dynamic binding feature like SQL Developer's parameter binding.

• 914216ae-03a5-4af7-977a-95bab16dc574
    edited December 2019

Oracle Devloper for vscode bug#1.png

i got a error message 'ORA-00928' when i execute below command.

exec dbms_utility.compile_schema('PackageName');

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited December 2019
    914216ae-03a5-4af7-977a-95bab16dc574 wrote:
    Oracle Devloper for vscode bug#1.png

i got a error message 'ORA-00928' when i execute below command.

exec dbms_utility.compile_schema('PackageName');

Hi,

"Exec" is a SQL*Plus command and we currently do not support SQL*Plus keywords. (We plan to soon)

You may be able to get this to work by putting it into an anonymous PL/SQL block:

BEGIN

dbms_utility.compile_schema('PackageName');

END;

• User_ORVQI
    User_ORVQI Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon
    edited December 2019

Please add PL/SQL linting (static code analysis) to this plugin/module.  Atom has a PL/SQL linter based on Trivadis PL/SQL Cop.  SQL*Developer can use Trivadis PL/SQL Cop plug in/extension.

This is a severely lacking feature in my opinion.  Overall this extension is AWESOME.  But PL/SQL linting would take this to the next level.

• Robert Love
    Robert Love Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2019

Not clear how to associate an existing SQL File with a connection.

I set up different 3 connections to different schemas in the same database.

I opened and existing SQL Script and pressed CTRL-R to run it.

Received: Specified URI 'file:///c%3A/dev/db/deploy/AAA_OWNER/GRANTS.sql' does not have existing connection

I can create new SQL files and run them, but unsure how to associate a connection with a SQL file.     It's also common to need to move a given SQL to a different connection, and unsure how to do that.

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

The extension is missing descriptions on configuration settings.

2019-12-16_09-55-30.png

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited December 2019
    Robert Love wrote:The extension is missing descriptions on configuration settings.

Hi Robert! Thanks for the heads up. This turns out to be a VS Code issue... you'll see it for any extension that uses multi language strings for their descriptions (for example many of Microsoft's own extensions).

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

Finally figured out how associate a SQL Script with a connection in the footer, I think that would be something good for Quick Reference Guide.  

Also if there is not a connection and you try to run it should prompt you to select a connection.

user1175340
  • Robert Love
    edited December 2019

I was creating a view and had some syntax errors,

The proper ORA-XXX was given however it gave me no context of what line/position the error occurred.   Which I believe is critical information as it's something provided by other tools.

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

The Connection in the Status Displays the whole connection string as I am using a proxy account.

I don't think the password should be displayed like it is easy to expose the password when demoing in front of others.

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

Not sure if Syntax Highlighting is based provided by plugin or it's using what was provided by default.   If it's provided by extension, then the REFERENCES Keyword is missing.

Here is how it highlights:

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, REFERENCES ON TABLE_NAME TO SCHEMA_OR_ROLE_NAME;

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

I decided to force myself to try the product for most of the day today, I hope the feedback has been useful.

I have a migration/upgrade project I am working on with 1 source schema that is migrating and significantly refined in two different destination schemas.

Connections don't stay persistent to a given Open .sql file, as I bounce around.    So each time I go to a different .sql file I have to reattach the connection, the workflow of this is tedious at best.

Once I attach a given .sql file to a connection I would like it to persist for the session of VS Code.

• Robert Love
    edited December 2019

In the Oracle Explorer window, where would you find Materialized Views?   I don't see the one I just created in either tables or views.   I disconnected/reconnected and it still did not show up.

It also would be nice to see the associated scripts for table and view creation, like you can with the edit procedure menu.

• jbosman
    jbosman Member Posts: 15 Blue Ribbon
    edited December 2019

I just tried this extension and it looks promising, but the current features are quite limited

- I would like to see some proper intellisense when editing PL/SQL packages. If you're used to writing C# code with visual studio 2019, you get some really awesome intellisense. It would be nice that this would also be available for oracle code: local/global variables, types, procedures/functions, type attributes, ...

- "Go to definition" support on any variable/type/...

• Garison
    Garison Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2020

Thanks a lot for the extension.  It's very helpful to me.  I seem to have trouble with the autocompletion of schema objects in vs code.

I seem to be connected fine and can run queries.  But then when I type "HR." for example, I don't get any objects in the autocomplete.  I just see "Loading..." and never get anything. I tried setting the "oracleDeveloperTools.logging.enable": true, but didn't see anything in the Developer Tools output window sorry!

In cases like this, would it possible for me to add my own auto completion?  The xyz extension allows users to configure their own autocomplete via a json file.  Something like...

{
       /*
       This is the default definition for your tables structure
       This list is used for auto-completion.
       You must create your own file and specify his location with the setting "plsql-language.completion.path"
       (don't use this file, it'll be overwritten with the update of the extension !)
       e.g.:
       "myTableName1": {
       "kind": "struct",
       "documentation": "no comment",
       "members": [
      {"label": "myFieldName1", "kind": "field", "documentation": "no comment"},
      {"label": "myFieldName2", "kind": "field"},
      {"label": "myFieldName3", "kind": "field"}
      ]
      },
       "myTableNameN": {
       "kind": "struct",
       "members": [
      {"label": "myFieldNameA", "kind": "field"},
      {"label": "myFieldNameB", "kind": "field"},
      {"label": "myFieldNameC", "kind": "field"}
      ]
      }
       */
    }

Would it be possible to get a similar workaround?

Thanks!

Garison

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited January 2020

Hi Garison,

Thanks for reporting this! To answer your question, we don't currently have any user defined auto completion but that is an interesting idea we will consider.

I'd like to try to understand why autocompletion is not working for you so we can fix it and/or give you a workaround. Could you help us isolate the problem? (See images at the bottom of this post for more details)

1) First lets make sure intellisense is enabled. The following settings should be set for intellisense/autocomplete to work:

a) Language feature should be set to ‘Oracle’

b) In settings, Intellisense should be Enabled.

c) Restart VS Code after making changes

d) Intellisense is supposed to work after Updating Intellisense data…. message disappears from status bar. If it never disappears let me know

2) Next, I need you to get the OracleVSCodeServer.log and OracleVSCodeClient.log files after setting Oracle Developer Tools -> Logging Level to ‘Information’ and make ensure Logging is enabled. Restart VS Code after changing logging level.

After making a connection, once Updating Intellisense data…. disappears and user presses <schemaName>.  then I need to get two log files  located at ..\.vscode\extensions\oracle.oracledevtools-19.3.2. If "Updating Intellisense data" never disappears after 10 minutes or so, still try this and send the logs anyway.

3. To know number of objects being fetched can you please tell me the count of objects by executing  following sqls?

SELECT  count(*) FROM    ALL_OBJECTS  WHERE OWNER != 'PUBLIC' AND OBJECT_TYPE != 'TYPE' AND OBJECT_TYPE != 'TYPE BODY';

SELECT  count(*) FROM    ALL_TAB_COLUMNS;

SELECT  count(*) FROM    ALL_SYNONYMS  WHERE OWNER = 'PUBLIC';

Please send me the above files and info to christian (dot) shay (at) oracle (dot) com

Thanks!!

otn1.jpg

otn2.jpg