This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,805 Users
  • 2,269,649 Discussions
  • 7,916,821 Comments

Discussions

How can I hide system tables?

Jassim Rahma
Jassim Rahma Member Posts: 51 Blue Ribbon
edited Nov 4, 2019 8:50AM in SQL Developer

Hi,

How can I hide the system tables shown here for examples and only show my tables which I created?

Oracle.png

Thanks,

Jassim

Tagged:
Gaz in OzJassim Rahma

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Nov 3, 2019 4:47PM
    Jassim Rahma wrote:Hi,How can I hide the system tables shown here for examples and only show my tables which I created?
    Oracle.png

Thanks,

Jassim

When you connect to a database with SQL DEv, the list of 'default' tables (and other objects) in the navigation pane are those of the schema you logged on as.  From this list, it looks like you are connecting as SYS, when you should be connecting as whatever username whose tables you want to see.  Else, scroll down the list and open 'other users', then drill down from there.

• Jassim Rahma
    Jassim Rahma Member Posts: 51 Blue Ribbon
    edited Nov 3, 2019 4:52PM

But I want to login as SYS but hide or filter these default tables because I only want to see the tables I am working on

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Master Product Manager NC, USAPosts: 8,927 Employee
    edited Nov 3, 2019 11:57PM

Use the filter feature. Right click in the tables node in the tree.

• user3393609
    user3393609 Member Posts: 3 Blue Ribbon
    edited Nov 4, 2019 2:27AM

You should not work as SYS other than do very important system maintenance. SYS is a backup account when you have problems. Write the password down and put it in a safe.

Better is to use SYSTEM. You can do almost anything with SYSTEM that is also possible as SYS.

And far batter, create a user with enough rights to do almost anything and use that user to do the work as in creating tables, views and code.

Makes maintenance much easier and you will never see those system tables that are used by SYS or SYSTEM.

Gaz in Oz
  • Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 6,317 Gold Crown
    edited Nov 4, 2019 8:31AM

How about creating a regular user with a DBA role?

Jassim Rahma
  • EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Nov 4, 2019 8:50AM

I would echo the others. DO NOT USE SYS.   Using SYS in an oracle database is like using root on a  *nix operating system.  It's very (VERY) powerful and there are few safety checks.  It's like walking a tightrope without a net - while juggling chainsaws.  Just don't do it unless you intend  to do something that cannot be done with a lesser account.

Jassim Rahma
  • User_K2631
    User_K2631 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    1. Right click on Tables,
    2. select Apply filter,
    3. Choose from Exclude options "NAME", match it with "LIKE" and enter "Your_Table_Name"

Click the + to add your preferred tables as many as possible

Click ok