• 2,260,590 Discussions
  • 7,896,779 Comments

Discussions

Oracle 19c installation fails in Oracle Database Configuration Assistant

Alan Somoza
Alan Somoza Member Posts: 9 Red Ribbon
edited Nov 6, 2019 11:13AM in Database Installation

Hi,

I'm facing an annoying problem. I have to install the 19c on a machine that can't write into /tmp folder, so it gives an error.

At the first part of the installation, it seemed that the problem was solved when you set up the environment variables as shown in:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E65398_03/otn/pdf/install/html_edmsv/output/chapter_6.htm

So, I set up TMP,TEMP,TMPDIR,TEMPDIR to a directory I control and where I have full privileges. After this, first error in the installation was wiped out, but when I reached step 16, Oracle Database Configuration, an error screen popped up.

This new window states:

INS-20802 Oracle Database Configuration Assistant failed.

Cause - The plug-in failed in its perform method

Action - refers to the logs or contact Oracle Support Services.

Checked out the log indicated in the screen with no luck.

After a while, I found a trace log at target folder that says both "unable to setup CVU remote execution framework directory", and it targets again the "/tmp/CVU_19.0.0.0.0" directory when I changed the temporary folders previously.

Also states that cant check available memory afterwards, but as it seems to be trying to reach an unreacheable directory, the crash sounds legit.

So, can you please tell me what is the correct way to tell Oracle to forget about /tmp folder and use a /whatever folder instead?

Sorry about not providing screenshots, my pro environment is restricted and I have no permissions to make them.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• MKJ10930279
    MKJ10930279 Member Posts: 244
    edited Nov 6, 2019 7:19AM

Hi,

you need to provide more details..

what steps did you follow as pre-requisites.

check the log file in inventory directory for more info

also, check if TMP directory has enough space.

• Alan Somoza
    Alan Somoza Member Posts: 9 Red Ribbon
    edited Nov 6, 2019 8:05AM

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your quick answer @MKJ10930279.

As I stated as prerrequisite of my system I can't write at /tmp. I'm working at a secure system, and this folder is not available as it is a security issue.

For the same reason, I can't also copy and paste full logfiles or screenshots beyond 'I'm manually typing this error'

What seems I need is to change /tmp file in order to prevent CVU writing/Reading from it during step 16 of the installation.

Prerrequisites, Suse 12SP3, added required packages as specified:

bc
    binutils
    glibc
    glibc-devel
    libX11
    libXau6
    libXtst6
    libcap-ng-utils
    libcap-ng0
    libcap-progs
    libcap1
    libcap2
    libelf-devel
    libgcc_s1
    libjpeg-turbo
    libjpeg62
    libjpeg62-turbo
    libpcap1
    libpcre1
    libpcre16-0
    libpng16-16
    libstdc++6
    libtiff5
    libaio-devel
    libaio1
    libXrender1
    make
    mksh
    net-tools (for Oracle RAC and Oracle Clusterware)
    nfs-kernel-server ( for Oracle ACFS)
    pixz
    rdma-core
    rdma-core-devel
    smartmontools
    sysstat
    xorg-x11-libs
    xz

User with full privileges: oracle - orainstall. Path /u01/app/oracle.

Inventory file does not provide more intersting information beyond 'Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory' labeled as warning. Altered path seems to be correctly set there.

I know where my problem is: /tmp is not available. The problem is that CVU seems to be ignoring the bypass of manually sitting TMP,TEMP,TMPDIR,TEMPDIR.

What kind of information would I need to post? Kinda newbie looking for help, sorry.

Is even posible to change CVU's default /tmp folder to anywhere else?

Thanks in advance

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,829 Black Diamond
    edited Nov 6, 2019 11:13AM
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E65398_03/otn/pdf/install/html_edmsv/output/chapter_6.htm

Above are not the installation instructions for Oracle database 19c under Suse Linux.

Instead, I suggest to follow:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/ladbi/index.html

... and to check the following in particular:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/ladbi/procedure-for-configuring-oracle-software-owner-envi…

It's possible that your OS is not setup correctly. Permissions of /tmp could be wrong, and for example not use SUID.

What is the output of "ls -ld /tmp" ?

If you need to use a different directory you can try the following, for example:

su - oracle

mkdir tmp

export TMP=$HOME/tmp

export TMPDIR=$HOME/tmp

• timipiri
    timipiri Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi everyone,

I tried installing oracle 19c on my linux machine. However, I got the error message attached in the photo.

Kindly assist.

• User_247AV
    User_247AV Member Posts: 4 Green Ribbon

hi. i have a windows 10. 64 bit. i deleted all the registry for the previous installations of oracle 19c. restarted. then started installing.

i am too having the same issue. after the installation is gone upto 51% or so, suddenly shows this error "installation fails in Oracle Database Configuration Assistant"

can i try installing it in a different drive(currently it is in drive C)?

Thank you!

• User_2VRMR
    User_2VRMR Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Hi everyone,

I tried installing oracle 19c on my windows11 . However, I got the error message attached in the photo.

Kindly assis

• Simon Peter
    Simon Peter Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

@User_2VRMR i have the similar problem i also have posted the same question, currently no one replied.