Forum Stats

• 3,827,642 Users
  • 2,260,802 Discussions
  • 7,897,323 Comments

Discussions

Is Developer Studio abandoned and discontinued by Oracle?

koval
koval Member Posts: 72 Blue Ribbon

I want to know if it is safe to assume that C++ compiler project has been abandoned by Oracle?

Earlier when I reported problems on this forum there were answers from the compiler team guys. My last question has been unaswered for 3 weeks and as I can see the last time compiler guy even logged in here was in May.

It looks for me like Oracle is no longer interested in supporting the compiler and even less so in considering to release a new version with C++17.

I want to know it this is true so I could have a strong argument at my workplace to push for migrating from Solaris to Linux and switching to gcc or clang - if there are bugs in the compiler which could affect our code we will have no way to have them fixed and will be forced to find ugly workarounds instead of using regular C++. Linux being better supported all over the world than Solaris seems up till now not enough for them but I believe unsupported compiler should be more convincing.

Thanks in advance for the answer

viloxTruong

Answers

• Alanc-Oracle
    Alanc-Oracle Member Posts: 183 Employee
    edited Feb 5, 2020 2:57PM

Oracle is still supporting existing versions of the Developer Studio tools, but is no longer developing new versions, and there are no plans to add support for new standards beyond what Studio 12.6 provides.

For support of new standards such as C++17 and beyond, you will need to migrate to gcc or clang.

kovalviloxTruong
  • koval
    edited Feb 7, 2020 11:22AM

Thanks for the answer

I think migrating both compiler and OS is a better choice, gcc and clang support Linux best, especially with tools like address sanitizers and similar - there is no Solaris version because they depend on low-level features and syscalls besides POSIX

vilox
  • vilox
    vilox Member Posts: 19
    edited Apr 19, 2020 10:42AM

Interesting... Does Oracle assume Sun Studio 12.6 will perfectly fit future versions of Sun^H^H^H Oracle Solaris forever and ever? If not, would Oracle really put itself into dependency from gcc or clang teams to build it's one of the most important products? Or, maybe, Solaris is not considered important anymore?

• vilox
    edited Apr 20, 2020 2:48AM

Just remembered ... Sun/Oracle compilers have builtin support for dtrace probes. How is Oracle going to support dtrace in Solaris without its own compilers?

• Alanc-Oracle
    edited Apr 22, 2020 1:02PM

I'm not aware of any special support in the compilers for Dtrace probes, but as I previously said, Oracle continues to support and sustain the existing releases, including for the use of the Solaris team to build the portions of Solaris that are built with the Studio compilers (the kernel, system libraries, core utilities, and a fair amount of the FOSS packages bundled in the OS).  Most of this code is existing C code, with very little C++, so supporting new standards like C++17 and beyond is not necessary for building Solaris - FOSS that adopts new standards can be built with the bundled versions of gcc or clang compilers.

• koval
    edited Apr 24, 2020 7:27AM

I guess you may be referring to the standard library probes embedded in libCrun (as per the article https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19205-01/820-4221/ ). Note however that this does not mention libstdc++ which is used instead of libCrun for C++11/14 standard

• user522630
    user522630 Member Posts: 82 Blue Ribbon
    edited Apr 26, 2020 5:03AM

I suppose there will be some parts of the code that will still require the use of own Solaris compilers to compile. How will the binary compatibility be maintained across Solaris releases, if gcc and/or clang are used?

vilox
  • vilox
    edited Apr 28, 2020 3:34AM

Nice question. The "binary compatibility guarantee" is the Sacred Cow of the Solaris.

• Alanc-Oracle
    edited Jun 9, 2020 3:40PM

All interfaces which Solaris offers binary compatibility for are C interfaces, for which Studio, gcc, & clang are all binary compatible, so there is no issue here.

• user522630
    user522630 Member Posts: 82 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 17, 2020 10:07PM

I see. What about the remaining C++ codes and also Fortran compiler in Developer Studio? Are there any plans to make it binary compatible if gcc and clang are used?