Oracle EF Core for .net Core 3/3.1 — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,708,735 Users
  • 2,241,115 Discussions
  • 7,840,563 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle EF Core for .net Core 3/3.1

Marius St.Marius St. Posts: 4 Newbie
edited June 2020 in ODP.NET

Hi,

.net core 3.1 with new Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore has been released some days ago. I would like to know when there will be a release of Oracle.EntityFrameworkCore with  .net core 3 or 3.1 support?

Is there already a date for the release? Will there be a beta/preview?

Any news @Alex Keh - Product Manager-Oracle?

Kind Regards,

Marius

Marius St.3818723Bjego4135578User_OT4GP

Best Answer

Answers

• Alex Keh-OracleAlex Keh-Oracle Posts: 2,720 Employee
    edited December 2019

As .NET Core 3 is a Current release with only about 3 months remaining in support, it's very likely Oracle EF Core will be supported for .NET Core 3.1 for production. .NET Core 3.1 has LTS.

No update on a beta date yet. We've seen many more issues than expected when moving ODP.NET EF Core to version 3, but we're making progress. Beta will begin early in 2020.

Marius St.Marius St.3818723
  • Marius St.Marius St. Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited December 2019

Thanks for the information. I am glad to hear that you are into it. I am looking forward to the beta in early 2020.

Regards,

Marius

• xcixci Posts: 1
    edited January 2020

Hi,

I'm also looking forward to the beta for .net core 3.1, is there a place where we can get information on the project or we can see a roadmap,

Thanks in advance

edited January 2020

ODP.NET will likely be certified this month for .NET Core 3.1.

Oracle EF Core 3.1 support is taking longer as there have been numerous changes for provider writers between EF Core 2 and 3.

• edited January 2020

Any chance to get Oracle.EntityFrameworkCore 3 beta?

edited January 2020

Email dotnet_us(at)oracle.com. Oracle will then inform you by email when the Oracle EF Core 3 beta and productions become available.

3818723Marius St.Bjego
  • edited February 2020

Just to provide an important clarification which few people seem to know..

Oracle.EntityFramework (e.g. 2.19.60) Core is compatible (working) with .NET core 3.1 !

Because EF 2.x is compatible with .NET core 3.1 !

We created a demo with ASP.NET core 3.1, and added the dependency to the Oracle EF provider named. It worked.

You can only not use EF 3.x, but this will be not the problem for a number of people (like us). We just want to work with a LT support version of .NET...

Alex Keh-Oracle
  • 37995773799577 Posts: 5
    edited April 2020

There are also guys like us who want to migrate to .net core 3 because on of their project dependencies has moved to .net core 3 and ef core 3...

I can't believe how oracle is lagging behind with this. We're in April and still nothing while Microsoft is already releasing beta of .NET Core 5.

I don't know what is the issue but why don't you do like everyone else and open source it on GitHub ? It would be way faster than now...

I guess you want to keep your products to yourself but you're annoying everyone by doing that. Just open your minds and evolve with the trends...

edited April 2020

With the coronavirus pandemic spreading worldwide, EF Core 3 work has been delayed. The focus is now on customers that need immediate help with critical apps and the well being of our team members.

• User_OT4GPUser_OT4GP Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited April 2020

Could not Understand Why Oracle team is lagging behind far behind mysql and Postgre developers. these db  already have started supporting the EF 3.1 envronment. Oracle might loose marker. COBIT pendemic is not for oracle deleopers where as the mysql and postgre team have already worked on it.

• 41355784135578 Posts: 3
    edited April 2020

We cannot update nuget packages in our project because of odp.net dependency, this is annoying situation and I don't know how long we have to wait :/ Oracle database selection seems to be an error. It wasn't supposed to take so long, oracle lagged behind its rivals

User_OT4GP
  • 41355784135578 Posts: 3
    edited April 2020

Maybe @Alex Keh - Product Manager-Oracle can make a good suggestion about what we need to do :/

edited April 2020

Right now, we're planning to release the Oracle EF Core 3 beta by the end of May.

• User_OT4GPUser_OT4GP Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited April 2020

ehh, again distress ! I am expecting to hear on 3.1

but still in plan for core 3 beta only, who knows when will work on 3.1 . In this pace; I think over a year or two more.

edited April 2020

EF Core 3.1 will be supported in the beta. The term "Oracle EF Core 3" is referring to the entire family of EF Core 3.x.

• ifarkasifarkas Posts: 4
    edited May 2020

I'll even take an alpha at this point . Stay safe and Stay Classy San Diego (Anchorman)

• Hi Alex,

Could you please share us the nuget package link for Oracle EF Core 3 which supports .Net Core 3.0 and later. Appreciate if you could share steps document to generate entities.

Thanks,

Satish K

• Hi Alex,

Could you please share us the nuget package link for Oracle EF Core 3 which supports .Net Core 3.0 and later. Appreciate if you could share steps document to generate entities.

Thanks,

Satish K

• Hi Alex,

Thanks,

Satish K

edited May 2020

The beta will support EF Core 3.1 from the start.

• Ivan SamuelsonIvan Samuelson Posts: 7
    edited May 2020

Any timeline for this? I know it's been asked. Also, how do I get the beta? I would love to test it out. We have a project going on that won't be released for about 9 months, but it would be nice to have it developed from the ground-up with your beta EF Core 3.x provider.

edited May 2020

The beta will be delivered on NuGet Gallery very soon. We've got a release candidate and are testing it out to ensure it passes our shipping criteria.

edited May 2020 Accepted Answer

The Oracle EF Core 3.1 beta is now available for download from NuGet Gallery.

More info about the beta in this blog post.

3818723Bjego
  • Is it support generate view objects from ef scaffolding? I'm struggling with it right now and it seems like it doesn't.

• 38187233818723 Posts: 7
    edited June 2020

Great! Thank you!

We have an bug with the Oracle.EntityFrameworkCore (3.19.80) at FirstOrDefault when two tables have a column with the same name.

For Example:

Ef Core turns the query _db.Users.Include(u => u.Profile).FirstOrDefault(u => u.Login == "Test");

the following SQL:

SELECT "t". "Id", ..., "t". "Login",

"t0". "Login,"...

FROM "UTEST" "USER" "t"

LEFT JOIN "UTEST". "USER PROFILES" "t0" ON "t". "Login" = "t0". "Login"

WHERE "t". "Login" = :login_0

FETCH FIRST 1 ROWS ONLY;

Because of the same column name the database throws the following exception

ORA-00918: "column ambiguously defined

Second Login column should have alias.

SELECT "t". "Id", ..., "t". "Login",

"t0". "Login" "Login0",...

FROM "UTEST" "USER" "t"

LEFT JOIN "UTEST". "USER PROFILES" "t0" ON "t". "Login" = "t0". "Login"

WHERE "t". "Login" = :login_0

FETCH FIRST 1 ROWS ONLY;

@Alex Keh - Product Manager-Oracle Any Chance for a Bugfix

If you are querying against DB version 12.1, then this is a known issue with the row limiting clause. The fix has not been backported to DB 12.1. It is available when using DB 12.2 or higher.

Marius St.

Thanks a lot, we were still using version 12.1. With 12.2 it works perfectly.