Forum Stats

• 3,733,966 Users
  • 2,246,849 Discussions
  • 7,856,954 Comments

Discussions

ODT for Visual Studio 2019 - Asking to fix configuration every time

4203322 Member Posts: 2

Hello guys,

I am new to the whole "app connecting to oracle" world, so please bare with me.

I recently installed visual studio 2019 and I am trying to connect to an oracle database using the EFcore. So, after several google search I can across ODT for VS2019, which I am aware is kinda new. The thing is, I installed everything and now each time I open VS and the Server Explorer Tab it shows me the following message.

pastedImage_0.png

After that, I need to close Vs, wait for it to install and re-open. Then again, when I open Server Explorer the same thing happen.

Shuld I click NO and try to add a connection it shows me the following:

pastedImage_1.png

So I am out of ideas of what I am doing wrong here. If anybody could shed some light on this I would appreciate.

Tagged:

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,856 Employee
    edited March 2020

Do you have administrator privileges? It is required to configure ODT.

Try right clicking on VS 2019 and select "Run as Administrator".

4203322 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2020

Yes I am admnistrator, and yes I tried with Running as admin even so. Yet, it did not work.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited March 2020

Hi,

Sorry you are still having this issue. Let's try a few more things:

1) Please tell me how you exactly you installed ODT?

2) Let us reproduce the problem again and this time, lets get a log file:

(a) close Visual Studio

(b) In the Start menu of windows,  under VS 2019, Open a VS2019 developer command prompt with admin privileges

(c) From this cmd promt, type "devenv /log"

(d) reproduce the issue in vs2019 (try to install and configure

(e) When you need to close VS after the install, after closing it, and after all installation is done, but before relaunching it, copy this file to another location:%USERPROFILE%\Roaming\AppData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_*\ActivityLog.xml

(f) When relaunching Visual Studio right after installing it, please follow these steps again (use a dev command prompt and log file)

(g) When done with configuration, copy this file and rename it:

location:%USERPROFILE%\Roaming\AppData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_*\ActivityLog.xml

(h) email these two log files to christian (dot) shay (at) oracle (dot) com

• Mike Kvitrud
    Mike Kvitrud Member Posts: 1

Our organization is having the same issue with Visual Studio 2019 asking users/developers to fix the ODT 19 configuration. We are deploying Visual Studio 2019 (16.7.2) and ODT for VS 2019 19.3.1.0.0 via SCCM to Windows 10 PCs. Our organization' users/developer do not have administrative privileges on their PCs.

How can our organization complete the ODT 19 for VS 2019 install via command line in SCCM, during the ODT install instead of when the user launches Visual Studio 2019?

We know it launches OraVsProvCfgUpdater.exe which in turn does things like run OraVsProvCfg. We do not know what parameters OraVsProvCfgUpdater.exe requires to run and complete the configuration.

Command lines we use to install ODT for VS 2019 19 via SCCM:

For Visual Studio Professional:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe" /q "c:\temp\ODTforVS2019_193100.vsix"

For Visual Studio Enterprise:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe" /q "c:\temp\ODTforVS2019_193100.vsix"

• user13429885
    user13429885 Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon

I installed and tried "ODT for VS 2019 19.3.1.0.0" version and "ODT for VS 2019 19.3.2.0.0" version on Visual Studio 2019, I had the same problem in both cases. I also ran VS2019 with "Run as Administrator" but there was no solution. I think I will install VS2017 and keep working.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

If you still cannot figure this out, please:

1) Please tell me how you exactly you installed ODT?

2) Let us reproduce the problem again and this time, lets get a log file:

(a) close Visual Studio

(b) In the Start menu of windows, under VS 2019, Open a VS2019 developer command prompt with admin privileges

(c) From this cmd promt, type "devenv /log"

(d) reproduce the issue in vs2019 (try to install and configure

(e) When you need to close VS after the install, after closing it, and after all installation is done, but before relaunching it, copy this file to another location:%USERPROFILE%\Roaming\AppData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_*\ActivityLog.xml

(f) When relaunching Visual Studio right after installing it, please follow these steps again (use a dev command prompt and log file)

(g) When done with configuration, copy this file and rename it:

location:%USERPROFILE%\Roaming\AppData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_*\ActivityLog.xml

(h) email these two log files to christian (dot) shay (at) oracle (dot) com