• 3,854,257 Users
  • 2,264,344 Discussions
  • 7,905,623 Comments

Discussions

Oracle upgrade 12.1 to 18 for rman

cptkirksh
cptkirksh Member Posts: 89 Red Ribbon
edited Mar 31, 2020 12:32PM in Database Upgrade

Ok, so we upgraded all of our DBs to 18c and now we have performed a catalog upgrade on the recovery catalog.  What is the general consensus on upgrading the RMAN DB itself?  Do you set up a new one in the new version and import the catalog?  Can you do an inplace upgrade?  Any suggestions?  All of this resides on an Exadata in oracle linux.  Thanks

Answers

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Mar 30, 2020 12:57PM

Why not connecting RMAN to the catalog and run the "upgrade catalog" command?

• cptkirksh
    edited Mar 30, 2020 1:14PM

Ok, but does that upgrade the binaries running RMAN?  We want to move it to an 18c home.

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Mar 30, 2020 5:24PM

Your 18c home already has the RMAN executable in it. Just change your environment to use it from there.

Cheers,

Brian

• Daniel Overby Hansen-Oracle
    Daniel Overby Hansen-Oracle Posts: 93 Employee
    edited Mar 31, 2020 2:13AM

I think the user wants to know whether the RMAN catalog database should be upgraded to 18c as well. According to the compability matrix you should be able to use any database from 10.2.0.3 and onwards:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/rcmrf/rman-compatibility.html#GUID-16DAFF0D-449C-4C8A-B717…

So I guess that the answer is no - you don't have to upgrade the RMAN catalog database as well. However, it might be a good idea. Perhaps this question is better asked in the RMAN forum.

Regards,

Daniel

• BPeaslandDBA
    edited Mar 31, 2020 10:14AM
    I think the user wants to know whether the RMAN catalog database should be upgraded to 18c as well. 

The OP should probably clarify. In the OP's initial post, it was stated:

now we have performed a catalog upgrade on the recovery catalog

Which I took to mean that they did upgrade the RC database. Maybe I read that wrong. But if that is the case, I would definitely upgrade the RC database because it is running on a version that is in Extended Support.

Cheers,
    Brian

• cptkirksh
    edited Mar 31, 2020 11:23AM

The catalog has been upgraded via upgrade catalog statement I just want to start the RMAN DB from the 18c home.  Can I just shut down the RMAN DB and then start it from the 18c home or do I need to upgrade thast DB like any other.  Thanks. 

• BPeaslandDBA
    edited Mar 31, 2020 12:00PM

Then Daniel was correct in reading your issue and I was not.

The Recovery Catalog database is no different than any other database. If you want to use the 18c or 19c version or some higher version for your RC db, then you need to upgrade it just like any other database. Its a database and is handled the same.

Cheers,

Brian

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Mar 31, 2020 12:32PM

RMAN catalog version and database versions are different matters. If the database version is different than the Oracle application it will not have appropriate data dictionary and other database objects, hence it won't open. What happens when you open the database? You can use the Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA).