Forum Stats

• 3,733,838 Users
  • 2,246,829 Discussions
  • 7,856,890 Comments

Discussions

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error when connecting Oracle forms 12.2.1.2 to an 'Always Free Oracl

Neil Emery
Neil Emery Member Posts: 56
edited May 2020 in Forms

Hi,

With the current Covid19 situation, we are required to work  from home.

We are using personal (or in some cases company supplied Windows devices to connect to our organisation's estate via Citrix and then using Remote Desktop to connect to our personal Developer workstations in the office.

I know Oracle forms is unsupported in a Terminal Emulator scenario, which is what Remote Desktop effectively is, and Forms Developer is slow to the point of unusable!

I am looking to get a temporary solution to this, by running Oracle Forms locally and connecting to a central database, and am done the following

1. Create an Oracle Always Free Cloud Transaction Processing instance and creating our schema (no data) in this instance.
  2. On my personal machine
    1. Install Oracle Instant Client
    2. Install Oracle Forms and reports 12.2.1.2 Standalone
    3. Run the Configuration Wizard
    4. Download and install the database Wallet Files and editthe sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora with the details from the Wallet

I can connect to the cloud database using Toad (Free version) but when I try and connect to the database with Oracle Forms, I get the "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" when trying to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Neil Emery

Best Answer

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,627 Employee
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer

You cannot use any autonomous database with Oracle Forms or Reports at this time.  Likely support for it will happen in the future with a new db version.  This would require Forms 12.2.1.4 or newer.  Older versions will not be considered for support. 

You can use Database Cloud Service VM, but again not autonomous. 

Answers