• 3,702,034 Users
  • 2,239,551 Discussions
  • 7,835,724 Comments

Discussions

oracle autonomous ORA-01017: invalid username/password

Michael ErlekamMichael Erlekam Posts: 4
edited June 4 in SQL & PL/SQL

Hi all,

I'd just like to share that one - in case someone else runs into the same issue.

I just created a new db schema on the customers autonomous data warehouse using a complex password but no special characters.

create user username identified by G48GHoJSKrb5hB;

Then I tried to login in and got ORA-01017: invalid username/password.

Solution in my case was to use a password with at least two special characters. After that, the login succeeded.

Best regards

Michael

Tagged:
L. Fernigrini

Comments

• mathguymathguy Posts: 9,245 Gold Crown
    edited June 4

If what you describe is 100% accurate (I have no reason to doubt it), this means there is a bug in the CREATE USER implementation. If non-alphanumeric characters are mandatory, then the error should be thrown by the CREATE USER statement, not by a later attempt to log in.

• PaulzipPaulzip Posts: 7,910 Gold Crown
    edited June 4

Check if you have any profiles and one set as default as you can password verify function associated with a profile or also inquire if there is logon validation.  I've work on systems for banks and they insisted on such Oracle profiles and / or specific password validation. But I'm not sure the errors are raised on login, that seems weird - must be application validation.

EDIT : For clarity, in bold.

• Solomon YakobsonSolomon Yakobson Posts: 17,773 Black Diamond
    edited June 4
    Paulzip wrote:Check if you have any profiles and one set as default as you can password verify function associated with a profile. I've work on systems for banks and they insisted on such Oracle profiles and specific password validation.

And how would it allow creating user with password not conforming to password function and verify it at logon time? If what OP is describing is true, then most likely it is application rather than database side check.

Also, it isn't clear what "oracle autonomous" means.

SY.

edited June 4
    Solomon Yakobson wrote:Paulzip wrote:Check if you have any profiles and one set as default as you can password verify function associated with a profile. I've work on systems for banks and they insisted on such Oracle profiles and specific password validation.And how would it allow creating user with password not conforming to password function and verify it at logon time? If what OP is describing is true, then most likely it is application rather than database side check.SY.

Oracle users versus Application Users. They had both and both called the validation functions.

edited June 4
    Paulzip wrote:Oracle users versus Application Users. They had both and both called the validation functions.

And what application user has to do with user profile and password function which are Oracle database, not application features.

SY.

edited June 4

The OP is explicitly referencing an error thrown by the database - an ORA- ....  error. Whatever validation the user application may perform, one would hope it won't throw an ORA- ...  error.

edited June 4
    And what application user has to do with user profile and password function which are Oracle database, not application features.SY.

You can create Oracle real application users which login via an Oracle user or proxying. You can also proxy user authentication through another user.

I've no idea if it's the cause of OP's issue, but it reminded me of something similar in my distant memory.

• Andris Perkons-OracleAndris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited June 4
    Also, it isn't clear what "oracle autonomous" means.

OP is most likely talking about the "Oracle Autonomous Database" - a "self-driving" database running in the Oracle Cloud.

Andris

edited June 4

... although perhaps one can write an application of some sort (perhaps a trigger before login, or who knows what) and throw the INVALID USERNAME/PASSWORD error if the provided password doesn't pass validation...  That would be a pretty interesting choice, but I suppose it's possible.

• Mike KutzMike Kutz Posts: 5,548 Silver Crown
    edited June 4
    Solomon Yakobson wrote:Paulzip wrote:Check if you have any profiles and one set as default as you can password verify function associated with a profile. I've work on systems for banks and they insisted on such Oracle profiles and specific password validation.And how would it allow creating user with password not conforming to password function and verify it at logon time? If what OP is describing is true, then most likely it is application rather than database side check.Also, it isn't clear what "oracle autonomous" means.SY.

Oracle Cloud Autonomous Transaction/Data warehouse Database [Free Tier] -- https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/

I'm assuming the one on the right

pastedImage_2.png

Its either a bug in the DB (unlikely) or a bug in your testing process.

It works with ATP Free Tier.

pastedImage_4.png

I had misspelled TEST_USER for my original connection test.

After I corrected the spelling of the user's name (and added CREATE SESSION), I can connect to my ATP Free Tier easily. (sql*developer)

pastedImage_5.png

L. Fernigrini
  • Michael ErlekamMichael Erlekam Posts: 4
    edited June 4

thanks for all your comments and thoughts about that topic!

Let me clarify a few things.

It is the ADW (always free) option and the whole cloud account for the customer was just set up this week.

Basically it also applies for the admin user

pastedImage_0.png

That's why I created the user in the web-based SQL-Developer providing all necessary grants.

Once I altered the created users password (using special characters) - it worked fine.

As said, the topic is solved. I just meant to inform you about that issue and maybe others.

Michael

edited June 4

Did you download wallet? Did you specify correct ADMIN password.

SY.

edited June 4
    Solomon Yakobson wrote:Did you add ADMIN to wallet?SY.

The wallet is created by the Oracle Cloud infrastructure website.

It is delivered as a ZIP file.  That ZIP file contains other fun things like TNSNAME.ORA

edited June 4

Did you download the wallet? Did you specify correct ADMIN password.

SY.

• Michael ErlekamMichael Erlekam Posts: 4
    edited June 4

yes.

Also altering the user's password (without special characters) didn't help.

edited June 4
    Michael Erlekam wrote:As said, the topic is solved. I just meant to inform you about that issue and maybe others.Michael

The auto-generated "try this password" should have been valid.  If what you have experienced has actually happen, then you have discovered a bug within their ADW Free Tier offering.

The only thing everyone (and myself) are doing is trying to get this problem to a well documented repeatable process. From there, Oracle can take over.

IIRC - I used my own password for ADMIN but the generated one for my APEX Admin (same name as my workspace)  THAT user can connect just fine using the generated password.  I don't see why ADMIN would be any different.

I suspect that you had typed an extra character (by accident) when you copy+pasted the password into SQL*Developer.

Something tells me there might have been a bug (in SQL*Developer) related to that.  I'm not 100% sure.  I'd check SQL*Developer forum for that bug.

But, the generated password should have worked.

My $0.02

MK