Discussions

Oracle Forms New Feature Ideas

1789101113»

Comments

• Carlos Cortez
    Carlos Cortez Member Posts: 585 Silver Badge

Hi,

I would be nice to have more control over user's sesions, for example:

• Limit the number of open sessions per user from the Forms side (right now we have to deal with this by using db profiles).
    • Limit the number of open Forms by name per user at the same time.

Also the following:

• Could you add the correct jacob zip file to the Forms installer, instead of wasting time looking for the correct one depending on the Forms version when trying to set up webutil.
    • A visual component that shows you that a report is been generated, like Forms 6i used to have. On new Forms version you click a button to generate a report and you don't know if it's been generated, end users tend to think that there was a problem with the report generation and press the button again.

Best regards. 🙂

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,858 Employee

@Carlos Cortez

First, thank you for your ongoing interest in Oracle Forms. I/we greatly appreciate your feedback.

Here is some feedback on your requests.

===========================================

o Limit the number of open sessions per user from the Forms side (right now we have to deal with this by using db profiles).

o Limit the number of open Forms by name per user at the same time.

Unfortunately, the only practical way to accomplish a per/user tracking option is through the use of the DB. Consider this, what if there were 50,000 concurrent users? This would mean that Forms would need to maintain profiles for 50k users on the mid-tier and allow you to provide configuration settings for each. This sounds like a good job for a DB. Since determining how many sessions an individual users has running is fairly simply to determine in a PRE-FORM or WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger, it seems this is the bests approach.

Regarding the total user sessions, this feature has been available in Forms for at least several versions. Hopefully you are using the latest (12.2.1.4). Refer to the parameter maxRuntimeProcesses in the "Working with Oracle Forms" guide for details.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/developer-tools/forms/12.2.1.4/working-forms/web-configuration-parameters.html

o Could you add the correct jacob zip file to the Forms installer, instead of wasting time looking for the correct one depending on the Forms version when trying to set up webutil.

o A visual component that shows you that a report is been generated, like Forms 6i used to have. On new Forms version you click a button to generate a report and you don't know if it's been generated, end users tend to think that there was a problem with the report generation and press the button again.

JACOB is a third party library, maintained and provided by that third party. The latest release(s) can be found on the following page (look for "Releases" on the right side of page): https://github.com/freemansoft/jacob-project Because JACOB is an optional add-on that is not maintained or monitored by Oracle, we cannot package it with the product.

You said, "...like Forms 6i used to have...". Unless we are not referring to the same "reports", Forms has never had a UI component that provided feedback about the status of calls made to Oracle Reports. Any such indicator would have been one created by your application developer. In Forms, you have the ability to request a report (using RUN_REPORT_OBJECT) be run by Oracle Reports (or BI-Publisher in v12). This call is simply a request sent on the network to the other technology and not one that is part of Forms. The status of this request can be monitored using the Forms built-in REPORT_OBJECT_STATUS. Based on the value it returns you can easily create your own visualization. Refer to the Forms and Reports Ingration guide for more information on how to properly make calls to Oracle Reports. Note that making calls to BI-Publisher (with Forms 12) is very similar.

https://www.oracle.com/application-development/technologies/forms/forms.html#panel2

• Atawneh
    Atawneh Member Posts: 27 Blue Ribbon

ability to export data to excel and csv with bulit in functionality in data block properties.

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,858 Employee

@Atawneh

Exporting to Excel is already possible, although only intended for smaller amounts of data. To do this on the user-tier, WebUtil enable your form and for server side processing you can use the Forms "OLE2" package.

If you want to export large amounts of data, you need to use the right tool for the job. Consider using BI-Publisher (or Analytics Publisher). These can be easily integrated with Oracle Forms 12.2.1.4.

• Frank Hoffmann
    Frank Hoffmann Member Posts: 791 Gold Badge
    edited Sep 15, 2021 8:41PM

@Atawneh

I recommend you check once demo7 on https://forms-demo.com. You find a screentshot and the sources there.

Its a pure PL/SQL solution which can easily being adapted to any block of Forms you like.

The solution is simply. You catch the last query from your block and pass the SQL to a PL/SQL package that does dynamically create an CSV File with column titles as headers and the database values.

The solution is simple and fast. You can generate 1000 lines of Excelcode in a couple of seconds. The demo solution shows you a simple Oracle table, the dynamic Query of it at runtime and the CSV in the background.

Frank

JeanYves Bernier
  • Walid KHARRAT
    Walid KHARRAT Member Posts: 110 Red Ribbon

Hi Elias,

what jars you use in your project to get : handler.getApplet().setWebSocketJSIBeanAvailableFlag();

and this.handler.getApplet().raiseEvent(param,value); available as methods

This week on Twitter I (@OracleFormsPM) mentioned having worked with the Forms Dev team on some new widget ideas.

https://twitter.com/OracleFormsPM/status/1440298672005140489?s=20

We've spent so much time over the last few releases working on runtime features that I forgot how fun it can be to get my hand dirty working with the User Interface.

I encourage you to think about your existing Forms app and even the ones that you've only thought about creating. Are there any existing Forms widgets (the UI components) that you wish did something differently? Let us know. This is a great time to get your ideas heard.

Here's just one example of what I mean. Consider the Forms list-item, Combo-box. Recently I shared an idea where the existing combo-box might be extendable to support autocomplete.

• Frank Hoffmann
    Frank Hoffmann Member Posts: 791 Gold Badge

Mike,

I have two additional ideas that you could directly include in Forms

1. Error/Warnung/Info Messages that pop up like MS Outlook notifications on the right corner (from his demo)
    2. HTML display on Canvas to allow HTML documents to be displayed

Demo15 on https://forms-demo.com with screenshot and source link

Both UI features could be easily included into frmall.jar with copy/paste

Frank