Forum Stats

• 3,759,502 Users
  • 2,251,554 Discussions
  • 7,870,681 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Forms New Feature Ideas

Comments

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,858 Employee

@Frank Hoffmann Interesting thoughts, however RCU and the repository in general are a component of WLS or the broader Fusion Middleware. Meaning it doesn't belong to "Forms". Any suggested changes to RCU would need to be generic and appropriate for all or at least most use cases. That said, there is some expectation that knowledge of the database is assumed before working with tools like RCU which are making administrative level alterations to it. In other words, as the administrator of the DB you should be aware that your system is configured such that passwords have an expiration. Therefore, you should either know to disable password expiration for these new schemas or have a plan to update them before they expire.

For future reference, I have included the URL to the doc explaining how to administer the repository passwords. The very first line of this section says, "The schema passwords are stored in the database. Note that passwords expire after a period of time... "

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/12.2.1.4/asadm/managing-metadata-repository.html#GUID-C30D2902-7601-412C-9061-E446398E7D2B

• Frank Hoffmann
    Frank Hoffmann Member Posts: 791 Gold Badge

@Michael Ferrante-Oracle This seems to be a good comprimise. I have seen many customers falling into this trap.

• Richard Harrison
    Richard Harrison Member Posts: 105 Bronze Badge

SUGGESTION DETAILS

These days there are many requests for the data in the database or on a form to be displayed on a "Dashboard" style page / form.

As you have said that UI is the focus, there is definitely scope to include more charts / graphics into Forms without the need to use custom 3rd party JAR files.

WHAT VALUE WOULD THIS ADD TO APPLICATIONS OR THE PRODUCT

Ability to integrate Dashboard style graphics into a Form rather than use separate 3rd party applications to access the database and generate charts, gauges, etc.

EXAMPLE MOCKUP (IF POSSIBLE)

Kalpataru
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,858 Employee

@Richard Harrison

Thank you for your suggestion.

Although I do not agree that a "dashboard" style form is appropriate for a Forms use case, I do agree that there is a need for some limited graphing/charting widgets. If you wanted a full dashboard as you suggested, this is where integration with other, more appropriate technologies is a good idea. With Forms being mostly a data entry technology, I can see where graphs and/or charts would help to illustrate things like salary totals by departments based on data loaded/displayed. Again, remember that "Forms" is not a reporting tool so the application should not have a focus on reporting or illustrating the data, but a quick glance to some high level data sets might be helpful.

I will discuss how we might be able to deliver graphing/charting with the Development team.

Richard Harrisonuser11236213
  • Richard Harrison

@Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Thanks for the reply and I understand your point about whether Forms is the appropriate solution for a "Dashboard".

I presume that the Weblogic infrastructure that is a pre-requisite for Forms doesn't provide the ability to "host" any other Oracle products that do provide a "Dashboard" style solution that could be launched alongside Forms on the client?

Regards

Richard

@Richard Harrison

Putting aside licensing requirements, you can host nearly any Java (J2EE) application using Fusion Middleware Infrastructure. FMW Infrastructure includes many sub-components. Here are just a few components that make up FMW Infra:

• WebLogic Server
    • Administration Console
    • Fusion Middleware Control (aka EM)
    • Application Development Framework (ADF)
    • And lots more...

The core components are listed in the following doc. Other components may be added depending on the technologies installed on top of FMW Infrastructure (e.g. Forms/Reports).

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/12.2.1.4/infin/understanding-oracle-fusion-middleware-infrastructure-distribution.html

• Richard Harrison

SUGGESTION DETAILS

Dynamically change ITEM TYPE at Runtime.

WHAT VALUE WOULD THIS ADD TO APPLICATIONS OR THE PRODUCT

This may already exist and I just don't know how to use it. My suggestion is specifically when a User wants to Enter Query, the field becomes a list item so they can choose from possible values. However, once they have executed the query, I would like to then change that field into a Text Item or Display Item so that the drop-down function and arrow is removed.

EXAMPLE MOCKUP (IF POSSIBLE)

changes to this after EXECUTE QUERY

Regards

Richard

• MWaseem
    MWaseem Member Posts: 198 Blue Ribbon

@Michael Ferrante-Oracle Sir,

Why can not we define a JavaScript function in program units (like other PLSQL function) and can call them by javascript_eval_function. It would be more easy to do that either by going through by tricky process.

@MWaseem would you please provide an example of what you might expect regarding your JS suggestion?

When thinking about your suggestion, consider the following:

.1. The code editor in Forms is a PL/SQL editor. It has no awareness of other languages. So any JS included in the code must be exposed as a quoted string.

.2. The Forms client runs as a Java application and not Java Script. So, the JS in the Forms code is not processed by Forms. It is sent to the browser and processed there.

MWaseem
  • Ashu Orcl
    Ashu Orcl Member Posts: 142 Blue Ribbon

Hi,

These are some from my end.

Integrating forms with domain active directory without oracle identity.

Substitute for oracle reports, wherein one can easily migrate the current reports and no need to develop fresh. Forms is not complete without reports/reporting tool. Even today we call it forms and reports.

What if reports get opened within forms instead of browser, interactive reports (something similar to fsal) pure browser less, so that it becomes small tiny family. :)

Easy integration with api's without much hassle like Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. This will give a proper website feeling.

Can we make forms Runtime more lighter so that there is improvement in performance. Even if we have many dependent libraries, images on canvas etc end user should not feel the pain.

Forms Runtime to auto adjust with end user display resolution, without any tweaks from developer. Like how general website pages behave.

Even we can look for lighter version of forms with limited features so that it can be deployed on mobiles, as mobile app.

Integration with third party pjc even if they are old pjc, currently we have, but still many times it doesn't work.

And finally something new (new feature) for developer and for DBA which no one expected, as a gift from forms team. ;)