Which database Source Control software is made by Oracle? — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,702,028 Users
  • 2,239,548 Discussions
  • 7,835,719 Comments

Discussions

Which database Source Control software is made by Oracle?

mariam.kupamariam.kupa Posts: 239 Bronze Badge
edited August 19 in General Database Discussions

Hello,

Could you please let me know if Oracle developed database source control softare?

Similar products is published by Red-Gate but I want to know if Oracle has its own reliable software?

As you've already guessed the requirements are the following:

1. There must be versioning of PL/SQL code

2. Developers should be able to restore any version of the code in case necessary

3. Developers should see up-to-date code and in case it's being modified, need to be notified about that

4. Conflicts should not happen

Tagged:
Tubby

Best Answer

• mariam.kupamariam.kupa Posts: 239 Bronze Badge
    edited August 7 Accepted Answer

It seems there is no such software provided by Oracle yet.

Red Gate is the best option for now.

Answers

edited July 8

What do you think about "ORACLE CHANGE MANAGEMENT PACK FOR ORACLE DATABASE " ?

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/grid-control/overview/change-management-pack-11gr2-datash-131286.pdf

Is it useful and does it satisfies all the requirements?

• TubbyTubby Posts: 6,987 Bronze Crown
    edited July 8

Why are you fixated on using an Oracle product for this?

You should be taking your list of criteria, finding the products that are capable of providing what you need and then picking THE BEST one (best being a relative term, likely focused on what your organization requires).

Just my nickel (2 cents not existing since the penny was abolished; I live in Canada so yes that's a real thing).

Cheers,

edited July 8

I could not find anything useful that is provided by Oracle, I prefer to be mistaken, because this product is required since Oracle supported code in database (I mean pl/sql) so I hope Oracle has already thought about that and moreover provided its solution. The reason searching Oracle product is simple, I don't want to use too many third party softwares, using less number of vendors is always preferable.

I found info about Red-Gate and think t's useful (at least theoretically,  have not used). But as mentioned previously I prefer to keep as few vendors as possible.

Thank you for your answer, if you know other software the best one, even the most expensive please let me know. I appreciate your valuable time and effort.

• TubbyTubby Posts: 6,987 Bronze Crown
    edited July 8
    mariam.kupa wrote:I could not find anything useful that is provided by Oracle, I prefer to be mistaken, because this product is required since Oracle supported code in database (I mean pl/sql) so I hope Oracle has already thought about that and moreover provided its solution. The reason searching Oracle product is simple, I don't want to use too many third party softwares, using less number of vendors is always preferable. I found info about Red-Gate and think t's useful (at least theoretically, have not used). But as mentioned previously I prefer to keep as few vendors as possible.Thank you for your answer, if you know other software the best one, even the most expensive  please let me know. I appreciate your valuable time and effort.

I disagree with the comment about using less vendors is always preferable. If you have an identical offering (price, quality, etc) between 2 vendors and you already have a relationship with one of them then yes I agree going with that pre-existing relationship is likely favourable.

I don't think I (or anyone) can tell you what the best software is for your needs, after all there are your needs. You'd need to evaluate the offerings and find out which are most palatable for you given the cost, ramp up time to deploy, "fit" for your ecosystem (technical and procedural), etc.

One note, your list has an impossible condition, item #4 (conflicts should not happen) isn't going to be something software accomplishes for you. That's going to be a product of policies and procedures you put in place around some versioning software. Some tools may lessen the blow, try to manage it for you, etc ... but nothing software related is going to make that concern vanish.

Cheers,

edited July 9

Well, there is no offering yet. Noone comes and suggest anything here.

The current phase is to find a software that matches our needs. The reason I asked here is to know about what software is used by others. So if you know such software please let me know, otherwise there is no point of discussing about offers, prices and so on. I need technical advices please.

• Arsalan DehghanisariyarghanArsalan Dehghanisariyarghan Posts: 350 Bronze Trophy
    edited July 9
    Hello,Could you please let me know if Oracle developed database source control softare?Similar products is published by Red-Gate but I want to know if Oracle has its own reliable software?As you've already guessed the requirements are the following:1. There must be versioning of PL/SQL code2. Developers should be able to restore any version of the code in case necessary3. Developers should see up-to-date code and in case it's being modified, need to be notified about that4. Conflicts should not happen

Hello Mariam,

The link below maybe is useful to you. It shows a list of source version control tools for databases. These types of tools are usually categorized into two parts:

State-based tools OR Migration-based tools. In our organization, *DBmaestro’s DevOps platform* tools are used according to our needs.

https://dbmstools.com/categories/version-control-tools

HTH

Cheers,

Arsalan

mariam.kupa
  • Mike KutzMike Kutz Posts: 5,548 Silver Crown
    edited July 9

Use a code repository that works with ALL the different developer tools you use. (SQL*Developer, PL/SQL Developer, Visual Studio, etc)

If the repository can't be easily integrated into the tools the developers use, the developer isn't always going to use that code repository.

Also, you need to look at what software you use for automating the Development Operations (DevOps) process. (moving code from dev to test to prod)

Your code repository should be easily supported by those engines too.

• Git is just one of the code repositories.
      • I believe Microsoft Asure DevOps Cloud uses Git interface
    • What arsalan suggested is another.

I can only point out potential SW.

It is your job to ensure that the tools you use works within your environment.

MK

PS - Right now, I'm using GitHub for my personal projects.  This isn't at 100% integration with my development tool (SQL*Developer).

As such, I'm (slowly) looking at Microsoft's Cloud offering because it include DevOps capability too.  (I believe they own GitHub now)

Tubbymariam.kupa
    edited August 7 Accepted Answer

It seems there is no such software provided by Oracle yet.

Red Gate is the best option for now.

• Gaz in OzGaz in Oz Posts: 3,745 Bronze Crown
    edited August 8

Be careful of using the database as a repository source. You would be much better having an external to the database source control offering.

Friday night, database cpu was maxing out and one of the culprits yomping excessive cpu was one of the red-gat daemons running on the database. To help alleviate the cpu bottleneck I killed the "SourceControlForOracle.exe" that was appearing in the high cpu usage modules in the database.

• user964944user964944 Posts: 9
    edited August 19

I've not heard anything about Oracle tool, I recommend Red Gate too

mariam.kupa