• 2,245,375 Discussions
  • 7,852,756 Comments

Discussions

Reading large table using cx_Oracle

User619492-OC
User619492-OC Member Posts: 4
edited July 2020 in Python

Hi Experts,

I have requirement to export large table (100M) to CSV. I am trying to do this using cx_Oracle which is working fine(tested 10% of data). I have few questions related how it consume server resources when using SessionPool.

My code:

pool  = cx_Oracle.SessionPool(db_config.user, db_config.pw, db_config.dsn,min = 5, max = 6, increment = 1)

file = open("file.csv", "w")

output = csv.writer(file, delimiter=',', lineterminator="\n")

with pool.acquire() as con:

cur = con.cursor()

cur.arraysize=2000

tmp = cur.execute('select * from 100MRowsTable')

rows = cur.fetchmany()

My questions are below:

1. For each 2000 records(arraysize) does it establish a connection through pool ?

2. Does it establish 5 connections(initially) and read in parallel each connection 2000 records at a time ? then it reuse same connections to fetch next set of records ?

3. if I want to improve performance can I use threading=true and pass chunk of  100MRowsTable for each thread to speed up extraction process? if yes each thread need to create a separate sessionpool or it has to use same session pool ?

Appreciate your help!! Thanks!!!

User619492-OC

Best Answer

• Anthony Tuininga-Oracle
    Anthony Tuininga-Oracle Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2020 Accepted Answer

If this is a simple utility, there is no need to create a pool at all. Instead, you can do the following:

conn = cx_Oracle.connect(db_config.user, db_config.pw, db_config.dsn)

cur = conn.cursor()

cur.arraysize = 2000

for row in cur.execute("select * from 100MRowsTable"):

output.writerow(row)

The code you provided is incomplete so I can't really answer all of your questions. The pool creation in your code does indeed create 5 initial connections. The with block will acquire the connection and at the end of the block close the connection (which will return it to the pool). If you have a way to select blocks of records, you could indeed use threads. These threads could use the same pool so long as you use threaded=True when you create the pool. You can also create a standalone connection for each thread which will prevent the need for enabling threaded mode.

Hope that helps!

User619492-OCUser619492-OC

Answers

edited July 2020 Accepted Answer

If this is a simple utility, there is no need to create a pool at all. Instead, you can do the following:

cur = conn.cursor()

cur.arraysize = 2000

output.writerow(row)

The code you provided is incomplete so I can't really answer all of your questions. The pool creation in your code does indeed create 5 initial connections. The with block will acquire the connection and at the end of the block close the connection (which will return it to the pool). If you have a way to select blocks of records, you could indeed use threads. These threads could use the same pool so long as you use threaded=True when you create the pool. You can also create a standalone connection for each thread which will prevent the need for enabling threaded mode.

Hope that helps!

• Christopher Jones-Oracle
    Christopher Jones-Oracle Member Posts: 1,628 Employee
    edited July 2020

For the record there are some tuning tips in the manual Tuning cx_Oracle.

• User619492-OC
    edited July 2020

Thank you Anthony!!

I tried with bellow approach already which is taking longer time to export into files then switched my program to use SessionPool.

cur = conn.cursor()

cur.arraysize = 2000

output.writerow(row)

with SessionPool my program is executing fast but before I put my code into production environment I just want to understand how sessionpool works.

my fetch size is 2000 so when ever it fetch it uses one of the 5 connections and fetch is parallel with 5 threads ?

can you please clarify on this ?

edited July 2020

You're welcome. I can't, however, answer your question as you're not showing all of the relevant code. The snippet you showed creates a pool, acquires a connection from that pool, fetches 2000 rows and then does nothing with them! I'll need more information before I can answer your question.

• User619492-OC
    edited July 2020

Here is my complete code, pls help me now with my questions:

pool  = cx_Oracle.SessionPool(db_config.user, db_config.pw, db_config.dsn,min = 5, max = 6, increment = 1)

file = open("file7.csv", "w")

output = csv.writer(file, delimiter=',', lineterminator="\n")

with pool.acquire() as con:

cur = con.cursor()

cur.arraysize=25000

tmp = cur.execute('select * from table')

columns = [i[0] for i in cur.description]

output.writerow(columns)

while True:

rows = cur.fetchmany()

if not rows:

print('Before Break')

break

output.writerows(rows)

file.close()

print("File successfully exported")

edited July 2020

In your code you are only acquiring one connection from the pool. No threads are involved so it is essentially the same as the code I gave you -- except that the rows are being fetched and written in batches instead of one row at at a time. If you want to fetch in parallel you'll need a lot more code to manage that!

• Christopher Jones-Oracle
    Christopher Jones-Oracle Member Posts: 1,628 Employee
    edited July 2020

You might want to look at https://github.com/oracle/python-cx_Oracle/blob/master/samples/ConnectionPool.py which starts a connection pool and runs a couple of threads that execute different SQL statements.