Forum Stats

• 3,838,337 Users
  • 2,262,351 Discussions
  • 7,900,590 Comments

Discussions

How to control storage space available to APEX 19 on a server?

cilyrik
cilyrik Member Posts: 39
edited Aug 4, 2020 3:47AM in APEX Discussions

I have a limited drive space on my test/dev APEX 19 Oracle Linux server.

It's 128 GB, and after a couple of months something already used 32 GB.

I guess APEX has something bloated stored there, because I only do APEX development and testing on this server.

There I only have 6 apps (each having less than 50 pages), 2 users and 3 themes.

So here are my questions:

• How does APEX use available storage space?
  • Which types of storage use I can manage from APEX web interfaces (e.g. App Builder, SQL Workshop, etc.)?
  • Does APEX make automatic backups of all the changes?
  • Can I limit the age of stored changes in this backup history?
Tagged:
InoL

Answers

• Scott Wesley
    Scott Wesley Member Posts: 6,231 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 3, 2020 9:14PM

These are mostly database questions. APEX is just a set of tables and packages that live in the database.

Your application meta-data will be in the order of megabytes - that's your source code.

There will be some logging in tables like apex_workspace_activity_log, but that's a rolling 2 week window.

The rest is up to your applications, and the tables you've designed underneath them. What's their growth rates?

Backup changes of what?

InoL
  • InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,987 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 3, 2020 9:26PM
    something already used 32 GB.

Are you talking about datafiles?

Space needed is not only the size of the datafiles, but also the redo logs, archive logs, trace and alert files etc.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,833 Red Diamond
    edited Aug 4, 2020 1:43AM

APEX is small. Our biggest APEX environment 755MB meta data for 30+ apps used by a 100+ users. And 10GB worth of files uploaded.

You are likely referring to the entire server? Oracle creates log files, trace files, core dumps, and so on. This can consume a lot of space if not managed.

Use the adrci (Automatic Diagnostic Repository Command Interpreter) utility to purge logs. I prefer however to use the Linux find command with file name and modified time parameters to delete old files, as adrci does not cover all bases for me.

cilyrik
  • Keyser
    Keyser Member Posts: 829 Bronze Trophy
    edited Aug 4, 2020 3:09AM

I have a similar issue with my ATP free database that I use for Apex development, it is being looked into by Oracle (bug 31645560)

I'm going to hazard a guess that the majority of your space is being used by the SYSAUX tablespace

Can you run the following query and post the results please?

SELECT "Tablespace", "Allocated MB", "Used MB", "Free MB", "Used%", "Data Files" FROM(select * from (select nvl(b.tablespace_name,                                    nvl(a.tablespace_name,'UNKNOWN')) "Tablespace",                                    kbytes_alloc "Allocated MB",                                    kbytes_alloc-nvl(kbytes_free,0) "Used MB",                                    nvl(kbytes_free,0) "Free MB",                                    round(((kbytes_alloc-nvl(kbytes_free,0))/kbytes_alloc)*100) "Used%",                                    data_files "Data Files"                                from ( select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 Kbytes_free,                                              max(bytes)/1024/1024 largest,                                              tablespace_name                                        from sys.dba_free_space                                        group by tablespace_name ) a,                                    ( select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 Kbytes_alloc,                                              tablespace_name,                                              count(*) data_files                                        from sys.dba_data_files                                        group by tablespace_name ) b                              where a.tablespace_name (+) = b.tablespace_name                              order by 1) sub1 order by 3 desc)

Because I use ATP Free, I don't have SYS user access, but you do, so this thread might be of interest to you : Oracle 19.7 (SE2) - SYSAUX growing because of WRI$_SQLSET_PLAN_LINES

cilyrik
  • cilyrik
    cilyrik Member Posts: 39
    edited Aug 4, 2020 3:35AM

Here's the result of that query:

TablespaceAllocated MBUsed MBFree MBUsed%Data Files
    SYSAUX13701292.437577.5625941
    SYSTEM430423.875  6.125991
    USERS401.25378.375 22.875941
    UNDOTBS210035.312564.6875351
    APEX_129159770360740115.062512.8125   2.25851
  • Keyser
    Keyser Member Posts: 829 Bronze Trophy
    edited Aug 4, 2020 3:47AM

based on that information, I don't think it's your database data that is consuming the space

I would suggest that you follow Billy's advice above regarding log files etc...