Forum Stats

• 3,741,305 Users
  • 2,248,409 Discussions
  • 7,861,732 Comments

Discussions

Datamodel for application variants

Robert Huber
Robert Huber Member Posts: 180 Blue Ribbon

Up to now, we have a school administration application for higher schools which is based on a (one) data model. As we are now making a variant of the application, I like to keep one data model and making two subviews, each for one of the application. They share around 60 % of the same foundation of the data model, the rest is different.

My question: Is there an easier, i. e. better approach?

I have already some sub views for the current data model, but am not able to generate DDL for a subview. I can select for example all tables in subview and run DDL Preview (context menu) to get the code.

Second question: Is there a possibility to run Generate DDL from the menu bar for subviews?

Thanks and best regards,

Robert

Best Answer

• Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,337 Employee
    edited Aug 27, 2020 11:20AM Accepted Answer

Hi Robert,

Is there a possibility to run Generate DDL from the menu bar for subviews?

yes, you need to select the subview you want to use as filter

DDL-on_subview.png

After that you can tune further what to be included - comments, some indexes or constraints to exclude, required objects from physical model, name substitution, ....

And you can save it in DDL generation configuration and every time you generate DDL you can load that configuration in order to have repeatable DDL (in this case it's not required to start from subview)

DDL_condigurations.png

Also you can use DDL generation configuration in compare functionality in order to filter out some objects from comparison

compare_with_DDL_configuration.png

Philip

Answers

• Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,337 Employee
    edited Aug 27, 2020 11:20AM Accepted Answer

Hi Robert,

Is there a possibility to run Generate DDL from the menu bar for subviews?

yes, you need to select the subview you want to use as filter

DDL-on_subview.png

After that you can tune further what to be included - comments, some indexes or constraints to exclude, required objects from physical model, name substitution, ....

And you can save it in DDL generation configuration and every time you generate DDL you can load that configuration in order to have repeatable DDL (in this case it's not required to start from subview)

DDL_condigurations.png

Also you can use DDL generation configuration in compare functionality in order to filter out some objects from comparison

compare_with_DDL_configuration.png

Philip

• Robert Huber
    Robert Huber Member Posts: 180 Blue Ribbon
    edited Aug 28, 2020 12:00PM

Hi Philip

Thanks for pointing me to these nice features. Tried it and works fine :-)