Forum Stats

• 3,728,222 Users
  • 2,245,576 Discussions
  • 7,853,386 Comments

Discussions

What is the purpose of Contributing Code to MySQL?

Lenka Kasparova-Oracle
Lenka Kasparova-Oracle Member Posts: 21 Employee
edited August 2015 in MySQL Community Space

From our own perspective, the purpose of   is:

• to drive more fixes by the community to simple bugs, i.e. fix more bugs quicker
  • to get more contributions in the form of new features, i.e. offer more features for our users
  • to breed a larger recruitment base of developers familiar with MySQL both for our users and ourselves

What are the benefits to the developer contributing to MySQL?

We believe that people contributing to MySQL are somehow scratching their own itch. Likely reasons why developers contribute to MySQL are

• to avoid having to maintain their patch, which they wrote just in order to fix their own problem with MySQL
  • to increase their market value for recruitments, not just by Oracle but by any company
  • to get feedback and users for their projects, by using MySQL as the wide-spread fundament of their (academic, research) project

We acknowledge that especially Category 1 people (and companies) consider all administrative work to be bureaucracy. This is why we keep the paperwork and legalese to a minimum.

What are the terms of the OCA?

Contributors are required to sign the Oracle Contributor Agreement (OCA) when contributing code to Oracle. The OCA is a short legal agreement which protects both you as a contributor and Oracle from legal attack. By signing the OCA, you agree that Oracle is legally allowed to use your code in Oracle software and that the code is, to the best of your knowledge, unencumbered by any patent issues. Here you can find some Legal help.

How do I agree to the terms of the OCA?

A copy of the most recent version of the OCA can be found here.

Comments

785636 Member Posts: 1

Hello,

I want to learn more about what is the process to contribute to MySQL team as C++ developer, Thanks.

• Lenka Kasparova-Oracle
    Lenka Kasparova-Oracle Member Posts: 21 Employee

Hello,

I want to learn more about what is the process to contribute to MySQL team as C++ developer, Thanks.

Hello,

so sorry for the delay in responding.

You first need to sign a Oracle Contribution Agreement (OCA) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html in order you to get in the list of Oracle's contributors.

You need to create an account in our bug system: https://bugs.mysql.com/ .

Once those two steps are done, you can contribute either by submitting a bug in our bug system of using the GitHub (please provide your GitHub name when you submit the OCA).

These are the process steps, if you have any technical questions, then please share it and I will help you to get an answer.

thank you,

-Lenka

• Best Engineering & Management College in India | NGF College

NGF Best Engineering college in India. NGF College of Engineering & Technology is being run under the aegis of New Green Field Educational Society, Delhi. The society is in the field of education since 1964. The college is approved by AICTE, DTE, Govt of Haryana J.C Bose University of science and Technology, YMCA, Faridabad. The college is spread over 26 acres of land and located the 71Km stone on NH-2, Palwal, Faridabad, Haryana(NCR Delhi). The Campus provides pollution free and very creative environment, where students can focus on their studies without any interruption. The campus houses world-class lecture theaters, laboratories, workshops & equipment. The Best Engineering college in Delhi offers B.Tech Courses in disciplines like Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics & Communication, Computer Science, Civil, Fashion & Apparel engineering and lateral entry directly to 2nd year(LEET), M.Tech courses in ECE, CSE & ME, BBA & MBA.

Read more about college visit here:- Best Engineering college in Delhi