New Release: 19.3.3. Lots of features! Try it out and let us know what you think — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,830 Users
  • 2,242,890 Discussions
  • 7,845,632 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Release: 19.3.3. Lots of features! Try it out and let us know what you think

Christian.Shay -Oracle
Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,786 Employee

Please let me know what you think.

We have added SQL*Plus support. See these web pages:

SQL*Plus common commands: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/dotnet/odtvscodesqlplus.html

SQL*Plus Reference:

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/dotnet/odtvscodesqlplusref.html

More features from the changelog:

Changes in version 19.3.3

• Connection Dialog enhancements: Set/Change the current schema, improved proxy user connection UI
  • Improved connection failure detection with an option to reconnect
  • Support for macOS connections to Oracle Autonomous Database over TLS
  • Support for database connections using LDAP
  • Browse other schemas ("Other Users" node) in Oracle Explorer tree control
  • SQL History and Bookmarks
  • Limited SQL*Plus support
  • Detection and warning of unsupported SQL*Plus commands in scripts (and child scripts)
  • SQL*Plus CONNECT command associates the file with a connection
  • Preservation of all session associated properties from execution to execution
  • Autocommit On/Off setting
  • Autocompletion of SQL*Plus commands
  • Autocompletion of procedure/function parameters
  • Intellisense/Autocomplete performance enhancements
  • Syntax coloring for SQL and PL/SQL keywords and SQL*Plus commands/variables
  • Append new results to existing results window
  • Toolbar buttons to cancel running query and to clear results window
  • Setting to automatically clear results window after each execution
  • Remember previous selections in some UI elements and offer as defaults
  • Support for REFCURSOR variables and implicit cursors
  • Visual Studio Code theme support for Light/Dark/High Contrast themes

Comments

• User_HNCSJ
    User_HNCSJ Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

IF you could just get autocomplete working against aliased table names it would be usable in place of SQL developer.

User_EF1YHOverlordBR
  • User_EF1YH
    User_EF1YH Member Posts: 10 Green Ribbon

Amazing updates thank you! I may be being dumb but how do I connect with a proxy login, I have done the "more options" but can't work out which username should be which. Usually in SQL dev my username would be personal_schema[proxy_schema] and use my personal schema password, how do I translate that to these options?

• User_EF1YH

This would be huge (although it doesn't work amazingly for me in SQL Dev anyway due to the size of our database).

• Adil D.
    Adil D. Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon
    edited October 2020

I find 3 bug ( performance & intellisense)

• the shema combobox freeze VS code with lot of schema ( please virtualise or limit number of items showed without filter)
    • the filter tree is slow
    • autocomplete doesn't work in this case SELECT * FROM SCHEMA.TABLE t WHERE t.[autocomplete], i try it with SQL and PL/SQL

Idea :

• add a TextBox filter on user/table , its currently difficult to navigate on this

important:

• you need a beta/preview chanel for you extension it will help oracle :)
    User_EF1YH
  • User_EF1YH

Managed to get it to work, the User Name is the bit in [], do not enter a password. The proxy User Name is the personal_schema before the [], and the proxy password is the password for that schema.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I will update the Quickstart to make it easier for anyone else trying to do this.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited October 2020

Hi Adil,

Thank you for the bug report - it is very valuable. 😀 If you have any more feedback in the future please continue to let us know here on this forum so we can improve the product.

Adil D.
  • Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi Adil,

We'd like to get more information about the schema combobox slowness. Could you please execute the following script against the same database you are connecting to when you try to use that combo box? (eg connect first without setting the combo box and then run this script)

spool c:\temp\timings.txt

set timing ON

select count(*) from all_users;

SELECT USERNAME FROM ALL_USERS ORDER BY USERNAME;

set timing off

You could post the results here or email the timings.txt file to me at christian (dot) shay (at) oracle (dot) com

• Adil D.
    Adil D. Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon
    edited October 2020

Hi,

here the result ( i hide the users name for confidentiality),

I think, the problem seems to be front-end (the combobox try to show the 20 891 USER and freeze vscode)

SQL> set timing ON

SQL> select count(*) from all_users;

COUNT(*)

----------

Elapsed: 00:00:00:29

SQL> SELECT USERNAME FROM ALL_USERS ORDER BY USERNAME;

USERNAME                                     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXXXXX

Elapsed: 00:00:00:05

SQL> set timing off

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited October 2020

Hi again Adil,

sorry, I thought I replied to this already - I passed this on to our developers and we will fix this in the next release.

In the meantime can you please try the following workaround?

1) Don't click on the Schema drop down, instead just click on the text area.

2) Then, just type the name of the schema you want to use.

My understanding is that this will avoid fetching all the schemas and will let you proceed with the schema of your choice.

Could you try that out and let me know if it works for you?

• User_DAZSK
    User_DAZSK Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I discover this extension today and seems very promising to me.

I can connect to a 19.3 oracle database using tns without problems and execute queries.

The Oracle Explorer works with Tables, Views, ... but in my case it is not able to list Packages, getting the error:

ORA-00904: "SELTAB"."SUBOBJECT_NAME": invalid identifier

Any idea what is happening?

Thanks,

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Could you please tell me the version of the database you are connecting to and what OS you are using for VS Code?

Then, please:

1) Go to visual studio code Settings for Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code and

a) Check "Enable Logging"

b) Set Logging Level to "Information"

2) Close and reopen vscode

3) Reproduce the issue

4) From cmd palette (F1), enter"Developer: Open Extension Logs Folder". It will open file explorer. Look in "Oracle.oracledevtools" folder.

5) close vscode.

6) after closing vscode, Please email me all files shown in the "Oracle.oracledevtools" folder at email address: christianDOTshayAToracleDOTcom

• user510735
    user510735 Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon
    edited October 2020

When will it be possible to run debug directly on VSCode ? I need to get rid of tools such as PL/SQL Developer

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi, are you referring to PL/SQL debugging? If so, this is slated for a future release but we are not sure when at this time.

user510735
  • user510735
    user510735 Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

Hi Christian.Shay -Oracle,

You already gave me great news!

• User_WP7OZ
    User_WP7OZ Member Posts: 5

Hi,

I cant find this new feature:

• Setting to automatically clear results window after each execution

How can I enable this?

• User_6BTKC
    User_6BTKC Member Posts: 12

Hello,

Maybe I am missing something but are materialized views not available in the explorer in VS Code in the new update?

• User_6BTKC

Hello,

Now that I've had some good time to toy around with the update for a bit at work I wanted to provide some feedback.

All in all this is a great update. My work's Oracle servers are located physically far away from me. The latency causes some issues for SQL developer on my laptop. We also use some non oracle databases so being in once place more often is helpful to me. This update gets the VS code support to a point where I can live in VS code for maybe 90% of my oracle work.

Pros:

• My oracle databases are located physically very far away from me so network latency causes some hiccups for sql developer. The VS code extension handles these interruptions better and crashes basically never where sql developer sometimes does.
    • Code completion is far faster than in SQL developer.
    • The ability to use some of my snippets from other environments without having to import them into another format is wonderful.
    • The SQL plus support is also great, we use SQL plus to do our live deployments and being able to have good completion and highlighting there has been wonderful.

Requests for enhancement:

• The object explorer is much improved with the other users/schemas. The edit in place functionality and commiting back to the database also seems to be working much faster. The only gap here is that some of the objects (Materialized Views for one) are not there. If the explorer could match all the objects SQL Developer shows that would be amazing.
    • Autocompletion/Intelisense comprehension of alias table names (and if possible variables in loops)
    • It would be great to be able to pre-stage some Intelisense completion too as a setting, something like load data for certain schemas in each database's entry. That way we can have the parser bring in some common schemas right away rather than waiting once we reference them.
    • Integration with the sever to client PLSQL debugger would be amazing, this is basically all I go into SQL Developer for right now
  • User_0GZN5
    User_0GZN5 Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited November 2020

Great update for sure.

I do find the dark blue highlighting with black characters as very difficult to read. is the dark blue highlighting something that can be changed? or is it set somewhere else in VS Code?

I also notice that the number of rows in the result window seems to always be one less than the actual number of rows returned. as a result, if I get two rows returned, the grid of results shows the header row and then the first row of the results, but hiding the second. As a result, I have to try and scroll between the two rows and I am unable to see both rows at the same time. I have reset the # of rows in the results to 25, but this has not helped.

Thanks!!

..scoTT

• Christian.Shay -Oracle

Hi in the VS Code settings go to Extensions->Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code Configuration and then check off Query: Clear Results Window.

There's also a clear results window icon in the tab for the results window.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited November 2020

Hi, no it is not available in 19.3.3.

This is scheduled for the next release.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited November 2020

Thanks alot for the nice comments and for taking the time to give us your feedback!

*We plan to add Materialized Views in the next release. Are there other objects types that are missing that you think are critical?

*Intellisense for aliases is also a strong possibility for the next release

*Intellisense is pretty fast, so you may be suffering from the latency you described because your network is slow. Are you experiencing intellisense slowness for any object type, or just some of them? For your own users schema, or others? We already prioritize your schema and commonly used objects but perhaps we could add a way to prioritize other schemas. Could you give more detail on what is slow for you?

*We do plan to add PL/SQL debugging in a future release

Thanks again!

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited November 2020

Hi, our extension does not provide a way to modify the colors used for highlighting.

But please press F1 and in the command pallete type "theme". There you will see choices for color themes as well as a way to create your own custom theme. It may be possible that you are able to get things the way you like. Once you have tried that, let me know how it goes.

As for the issue with the results window showing one less row, we are aware of that. It seems to happen most when the Page Size extension setting is set to a lower number. Can you try setting Page Size to 20+?

• User_6BTKC

Christian, thank you for collecting it and also just the updates in general I know we're talking enhancements but what you've done already is great. For your questions:

<<Are there other objects types that are missing that you think are critical?>>

I think for most workflows all that is missing are Materialized Views. It may be nice to add something like the public DB links that your user can see within your own schema but its really not as needed as materialized views. Maybe it is my work environment but we utilize them A TON.

<<Are you experiencing intellisense slowness for any object type, or just some of them? For your own users schema, or others?  Could you give more detail on what is slow for you?>>

It is the second scenario. Things in my schema are fine but others pull up when you detect we are using them. So if I log in as GREG but plan on working on a package against schema BOB, BOB only starts populating when I first type into it. If it is a particularly large schema I could be waiting a bit for BOB to get pulled in. It would be nice to have a box or setting per connection that says pull in the data for these schemas upon connection so that can get out of the way up front. If it also und

• User_0GZN5
    User_0GZN5 Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited December 2020

Hi... I have set the Page Size to 25, but this hasn't helped. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next iteration. I've attached a quick snapshot of both the size issue and the colouring. I wasn't able to find anything in the theme. But I'm not familiar with what the setting might be called.

Greatly appreciated and really like using this tool. Thanks!!