Forum Stats

• 3,726,954 Users
  • 2,245,295 Discussions
  • 7,852,504 Comments

Discussions

Simplify UI for Logical Designing DB for APEX Developers

Mike Kutz
Mike Kutz Member Posts: 5,588 Silver Crown

Maybe it is just me, and it usually is, but I find that usage of SDDM to be cumbersome for designing even a simple schema.

For starters, there are way too many options.

Defining Attributes

• I consider a drop down list containing over 50 entries to be a bad UI design.
  • The Logical data type list contains a lot on non-Oracle data types. These aren't needed by APEX developers and should be hidden.
  • Some of the other data types (eg HTTPURIType ) aren't going to be used by APEX developers or they are known deprecated data types ( ORDImage etc). These can be hidden.
  • There is no way (that I see) to easily flag a column/set of columns/table as SCD Type 2/3/4
  • I also don't see any Real Application Security (RAS) integration capabilities (eg this column is part of that RAS Data Domain)

Maybe I missed something (eg Web version). Sorry for any apparent harshness.

My $0.02

MK

cubeover
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 7,641 Employee

There is no concept of an Oracle type in a logical design. But also, you can set your preferred types in the preferences, and I highly suggest you do so.

• Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,320 Employee

There is no way (that I see) to easily flag a column/set of columns/table as SCD Type 2/3/4

Slow changing dimension is supported in dimensional model

Bu you can create user defined property for columns and set it using table/column dialog or search functionality together with "set

common properties functionality". In the latter case you can set desired SCD type to set of columns

Philip

• Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 5,588 Silver Crown
    edited February 3

@Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

So, there is no way to logically define how an attribute in the logical model should operate.

My desire is to define: This entity has an attribute thing-a-ma-bob which is a class of doo-hicky and should follow these-rules.

This type of abstract definition seems like it should belong in the Logical Model. If you can define the Data Type in the logical model, you should be able to define how it behaves (at the physical level) in the logical model also.

That is how I'm thinking.

My $0.02

MK