• 3,767,858 Users
  • 2,252,726 Discussions
  • 7,874,366 Comments

Discussions

How to load images on an apex upgrade from 20.1 to 20.2

Pericles
Pericles Member Posts: 20 Blue Ribbon

Hello all

I'm upgrading from apex 20.1 to 20.2 on a testing environment. Checking the installation procedure on the released documentation I found that for an apex installed on a PDB, it would be needed to execute the following commands:

host &OH_HOME/perl/bin/perl -I 

&OH_HOME/rdbms/admin &OH_HOME/rdbms/admin/catcon.pl -b apexins -c '<PDB_name>'  apexins_nocdb.sql --pSYSAUX --pSYSAUX --pTEMP --p/i/ --p1,2,3   

but this ain't accomplished anything. It just say that this command can't be executed.

Following my general knowledge I've installed 20.2 with @apexins.sql sysaux sysaux temp /i/ command, which ended successfully, but at login I'm getting a complaint of apex saying that the files loaded are from 20.1 not from 20.2.

"There is a problem with your environment because the Application Express files are not up-to-date! The files for version 20.1.0.00.13 have been loaded, but 20.2.0.00.20 is expected. Please verify that you have copied the images directory to your application server as instructed in the Installation Guide."

After checking the documentation I didn't found any reference about how to import the images files as it was done on 20.1 with apex_epg_config.sql which by the way is no longer packed with apex.

Anyone knows how to load the images files in a apex 20.2 installation?

pauljohny

Best Answer

• Pericles
    Accepted Answer

Finally I found and answer to this question.

As stated on the installation documentation :

Deprecated and Desupported Features

Desupported features include:

• Desupported Web Listeners:
      • Legacy Web Listener – Oracle HTTP Server
      • Embedded PL/SQL Gateway

So, lets move on to ORDS.... ;-)

Answers

• Pericles

One important point to mention is that I'm using the oracle listener as webserver, no tomcat, glassfish, ordbs, etc

• Pericles

Checking around some articles I figure out how to execute the catcon.pl commando.

cd /home/oracle/apex (or wherever you unpacked apex 20.2)

$ORAHOME/perl/bin/perl $ORAHOME/rdbms/admin/catcon.pl -b apexins -c 'xepdb1' apexins_nocdb.sql --pSYSAUX --pSYSAUX --pTEMP --p/i/ --p1,2,3  

After a couple of minutes catcon.pl ended with a nice "catcon.pl: completed successfully" but at the end the images are still missing.

Well, I will keep looking around the web to see if something comes up.

• Pericles
    Accepted Answer

Finally I found and answer to this question.

As stated on the installation documentation :

Deprecated and Desupported Features

Desupported features include:

• Desupported Web Listeners:
      • Legacy Web Listener – Oracle HTTP Server
      • Embedded PL/SQL Gateway

So, lets move on to ORDS.... ;-)

• I'm having the same issue as you. This is what I wrote on another site which was the wrong place to post it.

When I go to localhost:8080/apex to sign in, a popup box displays localhost:8080 says There is a problem with your environment because the Application Express files are not up-to-date! The files for version 20.1.0.00.13 have been loaded, but 20.2.0.00.20 is expected. Please verify that you have copied the images directory to your application server as instructed in the Installation Guide. when I click ok. I am able to get in and the version is 20.2 and application express seems fine. There was a similar question which I followed the answer regarding Oracle REST Data Services which I have installed. I even tried to uninstall which I am unable to do. I've tried copying the image folder but nothing seems to work. The database I'm using is XE and I'm only using REST Data Services as a standalone. When I try to validate the install for the REST Data, and they ask me for the administrator name and password, everything I put in is not valid. I choose localhost port 1521 database XE and I've used sys or system and even my apex admin name and password nothing works. I'm really new to this and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Still trying to figure this issue out after many hours. The server_name is XDB HTTP Server and the DAD name is apex. The database version I have is Oracle DB 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64 GB. The apex listener is blank. Pericles, where did you find the information about the catcon.pl commands and what is this for?

• Yawei Zhang
    Yawei Zhang Member Posts: 507 Bronze Badge

Same issue for me, I upgraded from 20.1 to 20.2 with my 11gXE, any straightforward solutions ?

• Aru-Oracle
    Aru-Oracle Member Posts: 9 Employee

Hi,

Need to use ORDS, as EPG and HTTP has been depreciated

Did you modify the static image path in your standalone.properties file to pint to APEX 20.2 images

Regards

Arun

• David_Baker
    David_Baker Member Posts: 9 Bronze Badge

Hi I also did an apex 20.1 to 20.2 this morning. I am using ORDS20.2

I normally run ORDS as java -jar ords.war standalone.

my standalone.properties file has these two image lines in them.

standalone.static.context.path=/i

standalone.static.path=/app/apex20.1_new/apex/images

I still that same error message about the images not matching with the apex version

in the ords20.2 install guide they refer to http://example.com/i/apex_verify.txt

when I do that it shows the older version of apex 20.1

so where do you make the change so this no longer is a mismatch?

• Yawei Zhang
    Yawei Zhang Member Posts: 507 Bronze Badge

The newer version of XE/APEX became simply too complicated for me, the updating process used to be very straightforward and simple, I don't want to spend too much time on all those configurations, I plan to downgrade and stick to XE 11g/ APEX 20.1 or below. XE 18c also too complicated for me, prior versions are install and works type.

• I finally was able to solve the issue by following instruction from some web site titled:

Install Oracle Rest Data Services(ORDS) for Oracle APEX

Oracle REST Data Services(ORDS):Configure Multiple Data Databases - I followed create a connection for APEX

and a blog post by Joel Kallman - APEX and ORDS up and running in....2 steps!

I finally had to change my localhost port from 8080 to 9090 and it worked.

Thanks for all your suggestions.