Proxy connection with no proxy password — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,715,830 Users
  • 2,242,890 Discussions
  • 7,845,632 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxy connection with no proxy password

Similar to this users issue (https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4294722/using-proxy-users-w-vs-code#latest) I am having problems connecting where the proxy password section is empty. I also tried the connection string provided (User Id=myuser;Data Source=dbhostname:1521/DBSERVICENAME;Proxy User Id=myproxyuser;Proxy Password=myproxypass;)

I also tried using this following connection string

(User Id=myuser; Password=mypassword; Data Source=dbhostname:1521/DBSERVICENAME;Proxy User Id=myproxyuser;Proxy Password=;)

This threw me the error of no empty proxy password. I tried using several combinations but eventually locked our schema which was not an enjoyable experience to get fixed. Using the standard advanced connection the proxy requires input to create the connection thus having to move to the connection string.

As well as the above attempts I have tried using the username[proxy] with no luck. It also seems my google-fu is failing me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• User_K2PC5
    User_K2PC5 Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer

Looks like I was able to figure it out using the following connection string after digging deeper into one of the threads here.

User Id=proxy;Data Source=dbhostname:1521/DBSERVICENAME;Proxy User Id=userid; Proxy Password=userpassword;

Source of the answer was the following, as provided by Kristian Vinther on dba.stackexchange (I can't post links or I would just provide the hyperlink)

finally found out how to represent the proxy user login via my connection string.

• Proxy User ID = MyUser
    • Proxy Password = MyUser password
    • User Id = SchemaName
    • User Password not set.
    SELECT SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'PROXY_USER'), SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER') FROM dual

Answers

• User_K2PC5
    User_K2PC5 Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer

Looks like I was able to figure it out using the following connection string after digging deeper into one of the threads here.

User Id=proxy;Data Source=dbhostname:1521/DBSERVICENAME;Proxy User Id=userid; Proxy Password=userpassword;

Source of the answer was the following, as provided by Kristian Vinther on dba.stackexchange (I can't post links or I would just provide the hyperlink)

finally found out how to represent the proxy user login via my connection string.

• Proxy User ID = MyUser
    • Proxy Password = MyUser password
    • User Id = SchemaName
    • User Password not set.
    SELECT SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'PROXY_USER'), SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'SESSION_USER') FROM dual

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,786 Employee
    edited December 2020

Hi,

Thanks for posting. It is no longer needed to use the workaround of using an ODP.NET Connection String to connect using a proxy user name and password like you show above..

As of version 19.3.3, we added a Show more options checkbox that will reveal the proxy username and password fields.

So, to connect using a proxy, in the connection dialog, check the Show more options checkbox and provide the proxy username and password in the fields that are revealed.