Forum Stats

• 3,767,982 Users
  • 2,252,736 Discussions
  • 7,874,399 Comments

Discussions

Has anybody managed to get SQL Developer working on MacOS Big Sur on ARM/Apple Silicon yet?

Richard_Allen
Richard_Allen Member Posts: 18 Red Ribbon

I've followed the recent discussions on running SQL Developer on Macs that have been upgraded to Big Sub. Presumably they are all Intel-based Macs. Has anyone got a shiny new M1 / ARM based Mac that they have got SQL Developer running on?

There seem to be a couple of issues.

1. JDK. After seeing that Azul Zulu OpenJDK is available already ported to MacOS on AS/ARM, i tried installing that. SQLDeveloper starts ti run -- but that doesn't include JavaFX and so can't render the entire canvas.
  2. Should Oracle Java JDK for Intel work, through Rosetta? I tried removing Zulu & installing Oracle JDK 11 then Sql Developer 20.2. This doesn't seem to run? Should it, or do I need an ARM JDK inc JavaFX?

Any thoughts welcome. I know this is early days and this is bleeding edge...

Thanks, Richard.

Best Answers

• Richard_Allen
    Accepted Answer

Thanks, Jeff.

I panicked when I got the error message trying to display the welcome page - not realising that welcome was more demanding than anything I wanted to do! Who would have thought!

Although yesterday with a brand new machine I didn't need to, today (after installing & deinstalling a few jdks in the meantime) I had to set a link to the zulu jdk in the .sqldeveloper/20.2.0/product.conf file. SQL Dev does appear to work after I set this ( although it warns you that it can't find JavaFX at startup).

Now just to wait for an Oracle-provided JDK. Thanks for the help.

Answers

• Richard_Allen
    Accepted Answer

Thanks, Jeff.

I panicked when I got the error message trying to display the welcome page - not realising that welcome was more demanding than anything I wanted to do! Who would have thought!

Although yesterday with a brand new machine I didn't need to, today (after installing & deinstalling a few jdks in the meantime) I had to set a link to the zulu jdk in the .sqldeveloper/20.2.0/product.conf file. SQL Dev does appear to work after I set this ( although it warns you that it can't find JavaFX at startup).

Now just to wait for an Oracle-provided JDK. Thanks for the help.

• User_QC80C
    User_QC80C Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Confirm, I can not open SQL*Developer on my Mac M1. Waiting and hope Oracle provides all of them as soon as possbile.

• abemaybe
    abemaybe Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

Using Zulu v15 just change the sqldeveloper.sh script from "-v 12" to "-v 15" 

and a dialog box will allow you to continue. Note, Zulu would need to be the default java_home.

#!/bin/bash 

TMP_PATH=`/usr/libexec/java_home -F -v 1.8`

if [ -z "$TMP_PATH" ] ; then

TMP_PATH=`/usr/libexec/java_home -F -v 11`

TMP_PATH=`/usr/libexec/java_home -F -v 15`

osascript -e 'tell app "System Events" to display dialog 

"SQL Developer requires a minimum of Java 8. \n

Java 8 can be downloaded from:\n 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/"'

exit 1

fi

fi

fi

• abemaybe
    abemaybe Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jan 12, 2021 3:24AM

Also, the "Welcome Page" and "Instance Viewer" is also working fine for me on M1 using

% /usr/libexec/java_home -V   

Matching Java Virtual Machines (1):

15.0.1 (x86_64) "Azul Systems, Inc." - "Zulu 15.28.51" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.jdk/Contents/Home

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-15.jdk/Contents/Home

No abends so far, touch wood! :)

• User_WPGMJ
    User_WPGMJ Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

I can not install SQL*Developer on my Mac M1. Waiting and hoping Oracle provides all of them as soon as possible.

• User_WPGMJ

I can not install SQL*Developer on my Mac M1. Waiting and hoping Oracle provides all of them as soon as possible.

• User_WPGMJ

• User_WPGMJ

• Richard_Allen

Have you installed the Azul JDK for ARM MacOS?