• 2,262,538 Discussions
  • 7,901,059 Comments

Discussions

SQL Developer 20.2 IndexPreferencesTask very slow

2»

Answers

• User_ATNAD
    User_ATNAD Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon

Typical example of the developer's "works on my machine" feature. In real-world enterprise environments, with slow NAS devices shared among hundreds of users, eventually with slow cloud-synced folders (OneDrive in case of my current customer's environment), this task takes forever.

PS: The navigation path "preferences - environment - persist file names and directory paths => DISABLE" does not exist in the version deployed on my customer's envs (Version 19.1.0.094, Build 094.2042), and since they are deploying all SW on the VMs using a corporate SW management tool, which, in the result, does not allow write-access to sqldeveloper.conf ..

• User_H3J7U
    User_H3J7U Member Posts: 1,062 Gold Trophy

@User_ATNAD

does not allow write-access to sqldeveloper.conf ..

Windows: %APPDATA%\sqldeveloper\<...version..>\product.conf

User_ATNAD
  • User_8D5ZU
    User_8D5ZU Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

yeah, i really don't know why you guys feel the need to scan my whole machine and network/wsl filesystems continuously. you should really re-consider enabling by-default whatever feature requires this. it's just plain broken.

• user4870401
    user4870401 Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

@User_8D5ZU

It is not really an SQL Developer bug but a JRE bug:

• SQL Developer creates an invisible file chooser dialog at startup, even if not needed
    • The file chooser wants to know how much place to reserve on the screen for file icons
    • It decides to do a recursive scan on the current folder, getting each possible icon, and see if it is bigger than any icon seen before.
    • If it encounters a link, it follows it, potentially scanning the whole file tree
    • This causes network shares to mount, CD rom drives to activate, all kind of fun mayhem.

This bug has been fixed ages ago by Java, but SQL Developer does not upgrade its built-in JRE.

user4960382
  • C. L.
    C. L. Member Posts: 19 Blue Ribbon
    edited Apr 26, 2022 12:47PM

Can someone confirm this is an Java Bug? I packaged the SQL Developer with the JDK 11 Version and I can't measure any improvement unless I disable the indexing.

Edit: And I am using the 21.4.2 Version, which has a lot of other issues additionally to being really, really slow.

• itshak
    itshak Member Posts: 43 Blue Ribbon

Hi,

I used the recommendation of adding the next to the sqldeveloper.conf:

AddVMOption -DIndexedPreferencesCommand=false

but I receive the next issue:

Error connecting:

oracle/jdbc/datasource/impl/OracleDataSource.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/jdbc/datasource/impl/OracleDataSource

at oracle.dbtools.raptor.standalone.connection.RaptorConnectionCreator.createConnection(RaptorConnectionCreator.java:424)

SQL Developer 22.2.0.173 with the JRE embedded (JRE 11) on windows 7

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,705 Employee

3 things:

1. please start a new thread
    2. Windows 7 isn't supported (but most likely not the issue here)
    3. Does it work if you run it w/o that option, which should no longer be necessary anyway