• 2,254,716 Discussions
  • 7,880,231 Comments

Discussions

Apex and machine learning

ete
ete Member Posts: 30 Red Ribbon
edited Jan 16, 2021 1:06PM in APEX Discussions

Hi,

I saw a blog post about the possibility to show the prediction of a machine learning model in Apex:

https://blogs.oracle.com/imc/more-value-for-your-apex-application-with-oracle-machine-learning-in-autonomous-databases-part-2/comment-submitted?cid=bca2bf0c-6cb5-4715-9c3a-c47b4837b53c

I am wondering whether it would be possible to select data in Apex (could be temporary stored in a new table), to perform a machine learning analysis or run a notebook and get back the results (e.g. plot).

Would this be possible?

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Sylvain Martel
    Sylvain Martel Member Posts: 747 Silver Trophy

Hello ete,

I read this blog post quickly and it seems really interesting as I am also quite interested to know more about ML.

I'm a bit puzzled by your question since it seems like the purpose of the blog is to show that you can use APEX to get the results from a ML. Maybe I missed what you meant?

In any case I will definitely look into more details of this blog.

• ete

Hi,

I want to select data inside Apex, sent to a ML model and receive the results back to Apex. Hope that was bit more clear...

Cheers

• Sylvain Martel

Ete,

I will have to carefully read there blog to clearly understand your question.

But before I do, you have to understand that APEX is a feature of the database. It looks like here, the database and tables are the main players in this machine learning process. APEX is "only" there to display the results and provide a data entry and maintenance.

I will come back with more comments after reading the blog.

• ete
    edited Jan 17, 2021 4:19PM

Thanks, I will look forward to your opinion. I know about Apex limitations (it's not my favorite choice, I am Python lover :) but this would increase it's functionality enormous!

I successfully followed this tutorial today:

It's basically doing what I want except not to start the ML prediction when uploading new data but I want to run it when clicking a button after selecting data inside Apex...

Cheers

• Sylvain Martel

Hello again ete,

You original question was:

I am wondering whether it would be possible to select data in Apex (could be temporary stored in a new table), to perform a machine learning analysis or run a notebook and get back the results (e.g. plot).

Boy, after reading this blog, this cannot be simpler to do with APEX! Tables can be easily accessed, PL/SQL procedures can be called from a process triggered by a button, seems to easy... So the quick answer, yes this is totally possible to use APEX as a front end for Machine Learning.

You were saying that APEX has some limitations. I would like to know what are these limitations?

Enjoy!

ete
  • ete
    edited Jan 18, 2021 5:47PM

Thanks for your answer and your opinion, very much appreciated! I am not an Apex expert, would it be possible to give me some hints how to start and what the procedure should be (payed resources are also fine)? In the blog post the Apex application is imported into the Autonomous Database Environment. Since I want to to start and show the prediction inside Apex, is this step still required? Or is it possible to call the ML model directly via a PL/SQL procedure (how?) by a button?

Well if this really works, there are basically no limitations anymore. I know that Apex is used to display database content and do basic stuff (I love the IR) but with combining it to data science, notebook and powerful language as Python it would be amazing and fun to use :)

Thanks a lot

• Sylvain Martel

Glad I can help ete!

Just so you know, APEX is not only for basic stuff at all! Let's hope Joel Kallman never sees this statement of yours... BOL

I created a VERY basic APEX application to show you how to edit records and call a procedure from a button in APEX. When you click the button, the page is submitted and a PL/SQL process can be triggers as show in the SQL source "twisty".

You can access this APEX application here: https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/xxinsum/r/supplementary-demographics/supplementary-demographics-report

Credentials: demo / demo2021

Click on the Supplementary Demographics Report card from the landing page to access the maintenance page.

Good luck!

ete
  • ete

Hi,

sorry I don't wanted to upset anyone, Apex is great just my employer misuses it sometimes :)

Thanks a lot for the demo, dumb question, is it possible to see procedure/sql? I can not enter the edit mode.

• Sylvain Martel

...of course the link to the Oracle APEX Learn web site is here: https://apex.oracle.com/en/learn/