Forum Stats

• 3,840,388 Users
  • 2,262,598 Discussions
  • 7,901,258 Comments

Discussions

User unable to see views SQL definition

wolf.goebel
wolf.goebel Member Posts: 48 Blue Ribbon

I have a user that is unable to see views definitions from other users using SQLDeveloper version 20.4.0.379, Build 379.2205. Using an older version, 19.4, it worked OK. Could this be a bug?

Tagged:

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,708 Employee

Possibly, but I'm not able to reproduce what you're describing.

We run a variation of this

select DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('VIEW',:NAME,:OWNER) from dual

Try that and see what happens, substituting your view name and schema for :NAME and :OWNER

You can see exactly what we're running in the View - Log - Statements panel

• wolf.goebel

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the answer! Never paid much attention to the Statements-Log panel, though.... nice!

The user I'm trying with can see the view:

select owner,view_name from all_views where view_name='V_CONTACT';

OWNER                                                                                                                           VIEW_NAME                                                                                                                      

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPORTING_1SAT                                                                                                                  V_CONTACT                                                                  

But the dbms_metadata fails telling it that the object was not found:

select DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('VIEW','V_CONTACT','REPORTING_1SAT') from dual;                                               

Error starting at line : 2 in command -

select DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('VIEW','V_CONTACT','REPORTING_1SAT') from dual

Error report -

ORA-31603: object "V_CONTACT" of type VIEW not found in schema "REPORTING_1SAT"

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 6731

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_ERROR", line 105

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 6718

ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 9734

ORA-06512: at line 1

Out of curiosity, I still have my 19.4.0.354.1759, version, and tried looking at the Satements-Log panel, comparing both versions and they are similar, but have some differences. I attached both logs.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

the database is basically saying your user doesn't have any awareness of that object, SQL Developer is just the messenger here...

• User_88CHT
    User_88CHT Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Jeff -- The logs that the reporter posted here show a clear difference between version 19 and version 20. The version 19 does both:

-- SELECT /*OracleDictionaryQueries.ALL_VIEW_TEXT_QUERY*/ TEXT_LENGTH, TEXT FROM SYS.ALL_VIEWS read from all_views, and

-- dbms_metadata.get_ddl()

The version 20 only does:

-- dbms_metadata.get_ddl()

You wrote:

the database is basically saying your user doesn't have any awareness of that object

That is not accurate. The user can select from the view. This inability to see the source within SQLDeveloper happens even if the user has both SELECT and DEBUG privileges on the view.

This is also causing some friction at my company.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

that info is already being shown on the details page, so if you want it, its' there

dbms_metadata is the database, basically, we're making the request, it's not allowing you based on privs

that panel represents the output from the API call to get the DDL for an object, and nothing else

• User_88CHT
    User_88CHT Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Jeff -- I see it now on the Details tab. Thanks.

I conclude from your statement that the version 19 behavior is not coming back. So from my point of view this is resolved. But I can't speak for the original poster.

• wolf.goebel

Wow, this is from a long time ago, already!

Yes... this was resolved back then. I understand that the users permissions weren't correctly given for the use of dbms_metadata and that this isn't a "problem" for SQLDeveloper to correct.

Thanks anyway!