Forum Stats

• 3,722,813 Users
  • 2,244,418 Discussions
  • 7,850,109 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Row banding does not work properly

buggleboy007
buggleboy007 Member Posts: 244 Bronze Badge

Hi Michael,

We worked on Row Banding property on several Forms(close to 400) in our application and have some good news to share i.e. Row Banding works as desired. However I have come across a situation where in the Row Banding does not work properly. 

Before I put forth my question let me give you the necessary details about our environment:

a)Database: Oracle 12c(Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production)

b)Forms version: Forms [64 Bit] Version 12.2.1.4.0 (Production)

c) Set the Row Banding property of the multi-text block from 0 to 2

d) As the Forms version is: 12.2.1.4.0 so based on this paper - https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/Middleware/2492996_1.html#CHANGE

Forced the DBA in the Middle Ware to set the ROW BANDING to FORMS_FORCE_ROWBANDING=1

(This way we did not remove the Custom Canvas colors)

Based on the above, here is the problem:

Some of our Forms have date-picker. When the date picker is selected and then any other Form is opened (that has Row Banding) a very bizarre color is displayed on certain Rows. Enterprise wide (different session users) the colors change. The only way around this is to log out of the application and then log back in.

Here's how it looks in normal condition:

Before touching the date picker:

Now I press the "DETAILS" button at the bottom and a new screen pops up displaying Row Banding. This is absolutely fine:

The minute we touch date picker and then open a Form that has multi-record block it's appearance is displayed below:

I changed the date from 11th Feb to 12th Feb:

Now I press the "DETAILS" button and the Row Banding goes out of sync. Here's how it looks:

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Member Posts: 6,490 Employee

If your code includes any color settings in pl/sql they will override the config settings. So ensure that you don't make any color changes in code.

Are you using a custom Bean or PJC in the application that can interfere with these object's colors? If not, are you able to create a simple test case that I/we can run without your data and/or configuration?

• buggleboy007

Thanks Michael. I will look into it and get back to you.

• buggleboy007
    edited February 23

Hi Michael,

I happened to look into this. The problem still persists.

To your question if we are using a custom bean or PJC. No, we are not using of any of those. 

We are using a Form on which this Calendar is placed. It's completely custom built. Here's how it looks (before removing the colors from cells etc.,)

For example:

a) If you look at at the Store Transfer Entry Form, when it is launched, you can see the Row banding applied to the multi-record block and also it's LOV.

b) Now I press the date button which then launches the calendar. Whether I select the current date(or any date) or not, and then close the calendar, instantly the LOV changes its color.

c) If you close the Store Transfer Entry Form and then open it again, you will notice that the Row Banding is completely out of Sync.

I followed your steps mentioned (checking the PL/SQL code in the Calendar Form) and removed all the colors from the Visual Attributes plus also the cells etc., and compiled the Form but no luck. The Row Banding still appears out of sync. You can see how the Calendar looks after removing all the Foreground and Background colors:

Any thoughts or workarounds from you would be highly appreciated and helpful.

NOTE: I did not see anything in the code that talks about any color specifically. However it did refer to a few Visual Attributes in the same Form. I went to those VAs and set its Foreground and Background colors to "UNSPECIFICED".

The best I can suggest is to try creating a simple test case. Avoid copying/pasting code or objects from your failing form. Use the Data and Layout Wizards to create a new block on a new form. Ideally you'll want to create the form on an Oracle demo schema like SCOTT or no DB at all so that Oracle Support (or anyone else) can run it.

Run the test case. If the issue does not reproduce this suggests something is either corrupt in your failing form OR there is code in it causing the problem. If however, the test case does reproduce the issue you should contact Support, although I would like to see the test case for myself.

• buggleboy007

There is of course code in the Calendar Form. This Form and it's code was developed perhaps in 1997 or much earlier. However I did not see any reference to (any) colors in the Form excepting for some Visual Attributes. For example:

The above visual attributes were looked at and I ensured that the Foreground and Background colors were removed.

edited February 24

Is the "calendar" an independent module? Meaning the only functionality in the module is the calendar then from other modules you "CALL" this module? If so, creating a test case should be fairly easy.

Also, is your calendar code home grown or was it originally part of Oracle demo code? It does not look like Oracle created, but I am asking because if it was Oracle provided I might be able to locate the original code. A more recent version of the Oracle demo calendar is based on objects from an Object Library and includes its code in a PL/SQL Library (PLL).

If you use Twitter, hopefully you've seen this post:

https://twitter.com/OracleFormsPM/status/1162394209690644486

Also, I just had a thought... How are you accessing the running/failing form? Is it running locally or are you connecting to a remote desktop?

• buggleboy007

Yes, Michael - the calendar is an independent module. It's placed on a different Form and a call is made whenever/wherever needed.

There are no PLL's or object libraries in them and yes, it's home grown.

I am connecting to a remote desktop and working (because of WFH). In fact my workstation (at work) is a desktop and not a laptop.

So given that information, it is very likely that nothing is actually failing in the form. The issue is more likely the result of accessing via remote desktop. This is not an uncommon problem when using remote access to a desktop, regardless of the technology used.

• buggleboy007

Micheal - Thanks for your prompt response. May be you are correct.

I had a similar issue with the Audio feature that was PoC'ed. When i accessed the Audio Form using mRemoteNG tool (to connect to my office machine), I could not hear any Audio playback. When I switched to native windows - Remote Desktop Connection tool, I was able to hear the Audio playback.

I will try now with Remote Desktop Connection tool and if it does not work, I will ask one of my colleague who perhaps has a office laptop to check/test the scenario. I will keep you posted.

• buggleboy007

Michael,

I did try logging in from my office machine i.e. I asked one of my support staff(they work from office) to login to my machine. He did and then ran the Form under question. No luck. The minute he touched the Calendar Form and then launched the LOV, it shows up in purple color (the one that I posted above). Basically this has not helped.

I am trying to create a simple test case for you . I will keep you posted once that's done.

• buggleboy007

Michael,

I created a test case as suggested and unfortunately the issue cannot be reproduced on my home computer. I created 2 buttons on the Form. Pressing the 1st button calls a multi record Department Form (which has Row Banding set). The 2nd button when pressed calls the same Form (used in our application), with the same code and opens the Calendar. After pressing OK/EXIT on the calendar, I go back and press the 1st button, the colors do not change.

I have attached my test report as evidence. Your thoughts?

This seems to suggest there is either an issue with the failing application (one or more modules) or the environment on which it is running. It would be a good test to run the test form you created on that failing machine. If the test form does not fail when running on the same machine as the other failing form, this suggests an application issue. In which case, further debugging of the failing application is likely needed.

That said, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. In other words, consider any possible differences. Are you running both the working and failing form with the same Java version? Are you running the working and failing form on the same client? Do the steps in your test form follow the same/similar code flow as the real app? And so on...